Anatomy of a Checkride

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

ArionAv8or wrote:As I stated in my original post, just the flight portion of my checkride was 1.6 hours, I believe the other posted was 1.5 hours of just flight time. This did not include the prep time, 45 minute oral test, written test, etc...

As for me the only question was the "clear of clouds", which I believe we successfully answered throughout our group discussion.
OK thanks. Typically the checkride includes both the oral and the flight so I feel it is important to clear things up for the new interested people trying to understand. A good number would be 1 to 2 hours for the flight portion of the checkride.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Paul Hamilton

Re: What Type

Post by Paul Hamilton »

bryancobb wrote:(insert name here) ___________________is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.

What category of person would perform the keystrokes needed to create this text...and then hit enter>
Brian,
Not sure where you are going with this but I will be happy to answer your question.

Someone who works very hard to simplify the complex sport pilot information, someone who is honored to have ASA, the largest aviation publisher in the world, consider me their expert http://www.asa2fly.com/ASA-Authors-C72_category.aspx
and include sport pilots with the rest of the aviation group.

Brian please give me a call at 775 772 8232 I would like to talk with you in person. I am headed of to the airport and will be away from my computer all day. Thanks.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I do have a suggestion about these discussions. This topic is a good example. It would be helpful for future readers for to attempt to stay more on topic. Not sure exactly how the topic of “Anatomy of a checkride” got to what is class G airspace and clear of clouds, but future readers will have to sort through all this rhetoric to find out what they want. "What is class G and E airspace? and What is clear of clouds?" are excelent topics on their own but do not relate to "Anatomy of a Checkride".

I have heard many complaints about blogs and people are frustrated with having to read through so much to get to the information about the topic. The word “diversion” comes to mind.

As moderator of this "Ask the Examiner" this would be appreciated to make it more useful for readers to stay on topic.

Thanks,
Paul
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Thank you! I use Google Reader to track this (and many others). I get a lot of information when the topic goes off on a tangent, but its almost impossible to go back and find specific posts for reference. A LITTLE control is not such a bad thing.
Dave
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul, as moderator of this section you should have the ability to move the post to a new thread. Your last post before Friday, Nov. 5th was Friday, Oct. 15th. I know you are a busy person, but some of us on on here a little more often than that. When someone ask a question we have no control over where it is ask, but I think it is better to give a quick answer than not to answer because of what thread it is in. I know if I was asking a question I wouldn't want to wait 3 weeks for an answer. Tom
3Dreaming

Re: What Type

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul Hamilton wrote:
bryancobb wrote:(insert name here) ___________________is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.

What category of person would perform the keystrokes needed to create this text...and then hit enter>
Brian,
Not sure where you are going with this but I will be happy to answer your question.

Someone who works very hard to simplify the complex sport pilot information, someone who is honored to have ASA, the largest aviation publisher in the world, consider me their expert http://www.asa2fly.com/ASA-Authors-C72_category.aspx
and include sport pilots with the rest of the aviation group.

Brian please give me a call at 775 772 8232 I would like to talk with you in person. I am headed of to the airport and will be away from my computer all day. Thanks.
Bryan, Pauls sinature was most likely copied and pasted from someone who was trying to honor him for his contributions to the light sport industry.

Paul, you have every right to be proud of your accomplishments, but the way your signature reads at the bottom of your post is a little strange. It looks like you are talking about yourself in "third person". Maybe it would be a good time to re-write your signature. Tom
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

deltafox wrote:Thank you! I use Google Reader to track this (and many others). I get a lot of information when the topic goes off on a tangent, but its almost impossible to go back and find specific posts for reference. A LITTLE control is not such a bad thing.
I think if we all stay on topic sport pilot will become less of a task and easier to understand.

I have added a number of posts to addres this issue regarding airspace and endorsements. Two of the most misunderstood topics.
Last edited by Paul Hamilton on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

3Dreaming wrote:Paul, as moderator of this section you should have the ability to move the post to a new thread. Your last post before Friday, Nov. 5th was Friday, Oct. 15th. I know you are a busy person, but some of us on on here a little more often than that. When someone ask a question we have no control over where it is ask, but I think it is better to give a quick answer than not to answer because of what thread it is in. I know if I was asking a question I wouldn't want to wait 3 weeks for an answer. Tom
Tom,
The best information is from all of you in a timely fashion no question. Somehow my e mail notification on topics is not working properly. Again, I have added some new relivent topics to help this situation. Please keep providing information to those who want it. Everybody - do not take anything a say personally.