Can ppl training count toward a sport license

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Paul Hamilton wrote:
GaffSD wrote:I had an experience that might shed some light.

During the time I wasn't training, I'd try to scrape the cash together for an hour of dual to keep from totally losing it. One of the hours was in a Cherokee.

I landed it like it was on RAILS. Man, it was like coming home again! Hadn't flown one in a year, and it was a piece of cake by comparison.

Back in SP training. All I've got left is to get my solo endorsement back, (maybe 2 flights) ANOTHER stage check (already did one!) then the checkride... We'll see how it goes!
So in your experience the Cherokee is much easier to land than the LSA cause it comes in stable in comparison? The LSA is more sensitive? Harder to keep going straight after the heavier aircraft? Just want to make sure I understand your experiences.... Heavy to LSA
In my experience most everything is easier to fly than a LSA. They are not as much fun on a calm day but they are easier to fly and land. I have flown:

Warrior
Arrow
Bonanza
RV9A
RV6A

I have flown 5 different LSA with one being an Ercoupe 415C. All of the LSA are more affected by turbulence and wind gust than the heavier GA aircraft. My lightning is definitely more fun to fly, (RVs excluded) than the other aircraft, perform in line with their cruise speeds and far exceed their performances in fuel burn, endurance, climb rate, etc... I guess you have give and take when you choose LSA as your options. But you know what they say, "You can't have your cake and eat it too" The RVs on the other hand, they are a rocket ship that flies like it's on rails and will yield good fuel burn if you can pull the throttle back a little and not run at Mach 2 with your hair on fire. Of course they don't have the 17:1 glide ratio I have either so when the engine quits which aircraft would you want to be in. I guess my point is I LOVE MY LIGHTNING and for me there is no other options that I would be happier with when looking at the BIG picture as a Sport Pilot. If I continued with my PPL then it would be a real tossup between an RV and the EAB Lightning which runs a little faster than my LSA version.

I would love to hear what others have to say on this subject so please chime in with your thoughts.