Sport pilot Student pilot certificate expiration?

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

David

Sport pilot Student pilot certificate expiration?

Post by David »

I received my student certificate on 9/11/2008 it has an expiration date on it for 9/30/10. I believe the regulations have changed per

PilotFAR / AIM.  

§61.19 - Duration of pilot and instructor certificates.

(3) For student pilots seeking a glider rating, balloon rating, or a sport pilot certificate, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date issued, regardless of the person's age.
(c) Other pilot certificates. A pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under 

What do I need to do? Contact the examiner that issued the cert or contact the FAA?

Bottom line I should not have let work get in the way of the check ride last month. Need to set fun as a piority instead of work!
comperini

Re: Sport pilot Student pilot certificate expiration?

Post by comperini »

David wrote:What do I need to do? Contact the examiner that issued the cert or contact the FAA?
You don't need to do anything. You basically can ignore the "expiration date" that is printed on the student pilot certificate. The regulations (60 months) trump whatever is printed on your card (24 months).
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I will double that. Good for 60 months from date of issue.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
David

Post by David »

Paul

Thanks for the response.

I contacted my local FAA and then another FAA office, I receive 2 different answers so I played it safe and got a new student certificate. They both agreed the 60 months should be ok, but the certificate had an expiration date of 24 months. That was the sticking point the date on the document.

Bottom line just don't let work get in the way and take my check ride
comperini

Post by comperini »

David wrote:Paul

I contacted my local FAA and then another FAA office, I receive 2 different answers so I played it safe and got a new student certificate. They both agreed the 60 months should be ok, but the certificate had an expiration date of 24 months. That was the sticking point the date on the document.
Two different FAA (FSDO, right?) people giving you different answers?? Gee, I don't think we've ever heard of that happening before ;)

This is no different than the new "re-registration" of aircraft thing. My aircraft's registration has no expiration date printed on it. That does not mean I am imune from this newly enacted 3 year renewal process. The (new) regulations overrule what is printed on my registration paperwork.

Same deal with the student pilot certificates. The new rules say "60 months", so it doesn't matter what's printed on your student pilot certificate. 60 months is the answer.

We DPEs are taught that student pilot certs (now) expire in 60 months, so a decent DPE should not question a certificate that has a "24 month" expiration date. But yes, point taken, that its easy enough to get a new one I suppose.
David

Post by David »

Yes two different fsdo, but as I have been taught plan your flights don't put your self in a bad situation and I thought this fits under that motto. So I just got a new one and no questions then.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I hate to say it but asking your local FSDO about the updated Sport Pilot or LSA regulations is probably not the best advice since they are still learning about it and not providing the best answers so far. Call me or the FAA SP/LSA esperts at 405 954 6400. Right now the local FSDOs are trying to figure it out so go to the source.

Local FSDO is not the best resource for updated info on SP/LSA. Go to the source.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

I am not sure if this is exactly relevant to this exact topic but rather than starting a new one...

once you get your sport pilot certificate, what do you have to do to maintain it?
drseti

Post by drseti »

pjcampbell wrote:once you get your sport pilot certificate, what do you have to do to maintain it?
Like all pilot certificates, the Sport Pilot license is issued for life. To be a current, legal pilot, you must have performed a Flight Review within the previous 24 calendar months. And, to carry a passenger, you must have completed three takeoffs and landings within the previous 90 days. You must have either a current FAA Medical Certificate (third class or higher), or have a current, valid state-issued driver's license. Your pilot certificate, logbook, and medical certificate or drivers license must be with you when you fly. Of course, before every flight, you must self-assess for medical fitness.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

drseti wrote: Your logbook must be with you when you fly.
If a private pilot ASEL gets in his piper cub and carries with him his pilot certificate and drivers license, why does he need a logbook? There is nothing in the logbook about his SP privileges.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

The requirement to carry the logbook applies specifically to Sport Pilots, not Pvt or above exercising SP privileges.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
pjcampbell

Post by pjcampbell »

thanks for the clarification on the certificate.