Student pilot certificate.

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

piet

Student pilot certificate.

Post by piet »

I will be using my drivers license in lieu of a medical which I let lapse.
Where and how do I apply for a Light Sport Student pilot certificate?
Thanks,
Tim
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Tim,

You don't do anything.

From SportPilot.org (EAA):
As a private pilot, you have already been trained to a higher standard than a sport pilot. To operate as a sport pilot, you are “dropping down” and operating at a lower level. The primary advantage of operating as a sport pilot is that you can avoid the cost and hassle of maintaining a third class medical. You can use your valid state drivers license as your medical as long as your most recent medical application was not denied, suspended or revoked. If you use your drivers license to establish medical fitness, you must carry it with you when you fly.

To operate as a sport pilot, you must:

- Operate day, VFR only
- Carry your valid state drivers license
- Self certify before each flight that you have no medical conditions that would jeopardize the safety of the flight
- Fly an aircraft that meets the definition of a light-sport aircraft (LSA)
- Fly only your approved category/class of LSA
- Have a current flight review

The main disadvantages of a operating as a sport pilot are that you’re limited to flying only an LSA, one passenger and daytime only.
dave
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Oops -- missed the main part of the question: student. I believe the same reasoning applies. You are a sudent pilot, period. Not a Student Sport Pilot.

There are several CFI's that I'm sure can clarify :)
dave
piet

Post by piet »

Yes I hope they can, I can't seem to find that information anywhere.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

You can get a student pilot certificate from a FAA Flight Standards District Office or a Designated Pilot Examiner. Figure out where you want to go to get it. The FAA will not charge anything, but the DPE may charge a fee. After you decide where you are going to go, ask what method they would like you to use to apply. The FAA may want it on a paper form 8710-1. The DPE may want you to use IACRA, which is the FAA's electronic application system. It's just a matter of doing the paperwork to issue the certificate. Tom
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: The DPE may want you to use IACRA, which is the FAA's electronic application system.
Actually, I just heard from a fellow CFI that the FAA is now mandating use of IACRA (at least in some districts). So, it may no longer be the DPE's option.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
piet

Post by piet »

Thanks guys.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: The DPE may want you to use IACRA, which is the FAA's electronic application system.
Actually, I just heard from a fellow CFI that the FAA is now mandating use of IACRA (at least in some districts). So, it may no longer be the DPE's option.
Some are, but I renewed my CFI in February with the FAA in a FSDO, and had to do it on paper because the inspector did not know how to do IACRA. I already had it filled out on IACRA when I called to make the appointment.
piet

Post by piet »

I logged in on IACRA., and started to fill out the form for a student ticket. Answered yes, I did at one time have a medical. Never realized that a student certificate in their eyes is a pilot certificate (Block M). Then they want to know my history as to pilot time. I don't recall that being asked on the form I filled out when I went to the Doctor for my last student pilot physical, is this something new? Last but not least, at what point do you say, or do they ask you--- are you going to use a drivers license or a medical in applying for your student pilot certificate?
Tim,
The FAA never makes anything easy. :?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Call who ever you are going to use to get the certificate and tell them you are having trouble figuring it out. Most will help you when you come to get the certificate. They will need to see you in person anyway. You could also call the IACRA help line to ask your question. Tom
piet

Post by piet »

3Dreaming wrote:Call who ever you are going to use to get the certificate and tell them you are having trouble figuring it out. Most will help you when you come to get the certificate. They will need to see you in person anyway. You could also call the IACRA help line to ask your question. Tom
Tom, I guess I'm a bit confused. I thought that you did this all via computer if you were going to use your drivers license in lieu of a medical certificate for the Light Sport category. If I understand you correctly I still need to go to the Doctor who in the passed issued me my student pilot certificate and tell him I'm applying for a Light Sport student certificate using my drivers license and he'll take it from there. Am I correct on this?
Tim
drseti

Post by drseti »

piet wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: If I understand you correctly I still need to go to the Doctor who in the passed issued me my student pilot certificate and tell him I'm applying for a Light Sport student certificate using my drivers license and he'll take it from there. Am I correct on this?
Tim, I spoke recently to my AME (aviation medical examiner) about this very question, and he didn't know how to handle the issuing of Sport Pilot student certificates without doing a medical exam. So, he called his superior in the FAA aeromedical branch, and got a disappointing answer: can't be done! It appears that, if you want a student certificate without a medical, you have only two choices -- go to the nearest FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and they'll issue one for free, or to any FAA Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) and be prepared to pay his or her fee (if any) to have the certificate issued.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
piet

Post by piet »

Thanks for the information, sounds like this is going to turn into a real PIA.
roger lee

LSA Student Ticket

Post by roger lee »

They are right a medical examiner can't do it. A FSDO can, but so can an FFA rep at most offices. It does not have to be the district office. We do it all the time in Tucson, AZ. at the local FAA rep. The district office for us is in Phoenix. If the local FAA rep. is not up on his procedures just have him make a phone call to his district office or Oklahoma and then he'll be up to date and get you signed off for the LSA student ticket. Like I said we do it all the time here. Our guy said he couldn't do it at first until I had him make his call. Now he has done a bunch of them and it only takes about 10 minutes. If you have a large airport near by I would bet there is an FAA rep station there.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Re: LSA Student Ticket

Post by drseti »

roger lee wrote:If you have a large airport near by I would bet there is an FAA rep station there.
I kinda envy you guys who live in real cities, Roger. The nearest large airports to rural Central PA are Philadelphia (200 miles East) and Pittsburgh (200 miles West). Oh, wait, there's BWI (200 miles South) and maybe Buffalo (200 miles North). We're the hole in the middle of the population donut -- so, for those of us in Amish country, the Harrisburg FSDO (only 100 miles away) is our best bet.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US