Student pilot certificate.

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit and

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Posts: 2577
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Postby 3Dreaming » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:19 am

Tim, I know Florida is a big state where do yo live? It's not as gig of a PIA as you might think. You have to fill out an application for a student pilot certificate. You do this online with IACRA, or on a paper form. You go see a DPE or the local FSDO to complete the process. The DPE I use is about 1 hour away and he does not charge anything because he will be doing the check ride when when the student is finished up. Also Sun N Fun is this week. I know at Oshkosh they will issue student pilot certificates, but they might be doing it there.

Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Postby N918KT » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:06 am

Just wondering, if Sport Pilot Programs aren't available to flight schools such as in NJ (for now), would the nearest FSDO won't have a Student Sport Pilot certificate available either because there's no demand for it?

User avatar
Posts: 6222
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA

Postby drseti » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 am

I wouldn't expect that to be an issue, Kevin. All FSDOs are supposed to offer the same services, and have the same forms onhand. They don't necessarily know where you are going to be training, or even what kinds of planes local flight schools have.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch

Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Postby N918KT » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 am

I see. Thanks for the quick reply!

Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:27 am
Location: Florida

Postby piet » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks for the help guys.
I went to our local DPE and got my LSP Student certificate using my drivers license in about 15 minutes. I had already registered at the IACRA site and gotten my FTN number. Fortunately I had not submitted the form I filled out because I had screwed it up a bit. The DPE corrected it and now I'm in business.

User avatar
Paul Hamilton
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: Reno/Tahoe Nevada

Postby Paul Hamilton » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 am

for other facing this problem you can get a sport pilot student certificate from a FSDO or DPE.

You can find a local FSDO at: ... resources/

or a DPE at: ... -examiner/
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See and to Paul's websites

Return to “Ask The Examiner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests