sports endorsement CFI

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

yozz25

sports endorsement CFI

Post by yozz25 »

Does my cfi, who is now instructing me in the Remos, have to have a special endorsement for lsa instruction and to sign off what needs be signed off in my log.

yozz :)
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

no
drseti

Post by drseti »

No after April 2nd. Right now, any CFI needs 5 hours PIC in a single make and model within a given SET of LSA, to give instruction within that SET. In 11 days, the whole set nonsense goes away, and we're back to category and class, after which there are no particular requirements imposed on a cfi who wants to go light sport.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
scottj

CFI 5 hour rule

Post by scottj »

While the 5 hour minimum time in type rule may be going away, it is foolish for a CFI (no matter how many hours he has in his log book) to think he is safe and competent to teach in any airplane that he has less than 5 hours in by himself and another instructor.

I would suggest replacing the 5 hour rule with 50 ~ 100 landings before instructing.

Most LSA accidents are happening in the first hours (under 50) in airplanes. These are not the same as teaching in a Cessna 172. Instructors need to learn and know their own limitations and abilities.

Scott
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
drseti

Re: CFI 5 hour rule

Post by drseti »

scottj wrote:While the 5 hour minimum time in type rule may be going away, it is foolish for a CFI (no matter how many hours he has in his log book) to think he is safe and competent to teach in any airplane that he has less than 5 hours
I agree wholeheartedly, Scott. I got 5 hrs dual thrown in when I bought my SportStar. Then flew it another 10 before I started instructing in it. I don't care how many thousands of hours you have; whenever you get a new plane, you become a student pilot all over again!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US