Help with test questions

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

piet

Help with test questions

Post by piet »

I would like to take the test for Light Sport Aircraft. When I go to the FAA test question data bank they have all the questions, but there are a lot of questions pertaining to balloons and etc., is there some code identifying number that I can use to separate the airplane question from the non-airplane questions, or am I missing something simple?
Thanks,
Tim
Sorry I used the ‘shotgun’ approach. I did post this in another area in hopes of getting a reply.
bryancobb

You probably already know but...

Post by bryancobb »

Hi.
When your test proctor inputs that you are taking the AIRPLANE test, the computer selects a set of questions FOR YOU. It will only include questions appropriate for you.

Most of the Ground School study products that you can buy have a way of identifying the questions that apply TO YOU.

If you go to the FAA website and access the question bank FOR FREE, you don't have that luxury. YOU have to do the task of looking up the code beside each question and evaluating if it is for you or not. That's one of the things you are paying for if you BUY a set of study materials.

The cheapest and easiest way of getting where you want to go (IMHO) is to purchase the DAUNTLESS study software. I think it's $25 or $30 and one of the first things it does is throws out all the questions that don't apply TO YOU. I am not benefiting from mentioning this product. It is just cheap and works very well. I used it to prep for my Sport CFI and FOI.
100 on FOI and 87 on CFI.

http://dauntless-software.com/PRODUCTS/ ... ?group=SPI
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
bryancobb

Wrong Link above

Post by bryancobb »

Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
Murrell

Post by Murrell »

Remember;
You have to be signed off as being prepared,by a Ground School - Instructor to take the Written test !

You just can't dittie-bop in and take the test , without a sign off.
:cry:

Murrell
bryancobb

Sort Of

Post by bryancobb »

Your CFI cans simply give you written proof of the feeling that you are prepared. That will get you in.

If you use this software correctly, Dauntless provides that letter when you score well enough on the sample tests.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

You can also try http://www.exams4pilots.org/. You can select SP questions. It's not as complete as the for $ ones, but I liked the format and its just dirt simple to use. You can whip off a round of 10 questions during commercial breaks while watching TV.

Please keep in mind that studying test questions if fine, but make sure you understand the material, and don't just memorize the answers. Your continuing privilege to fly, and indeed, your life may depend on it.

Ron
piet

Post by piet »

Thanks for the replies fellows.
Quite a few years ago I got both the King and Gleim Sport Pilot Knowledge test course. I assumed that it would be for an airplane, bad assumption. At the time I didn’t realize that there are 8 Sport Pilot categories.

Sport Pilot General (SPG)
Sport Pilot Airplane (SPA)
Sport Pilot Lighter than Air Balloon (SPB)
Sport Pilot Glider (SPI)
Sport Pilot Lighter than Air Airship(SPL)
Sport Pilot Powered Parachute (SPP)
Sport Pilot Weight Shift Control (SPW)
Sport Pilot Gyroplane (SPY)

Separating the ‘wheat from the chaff’ so to speak was a real PIA. They just referred you to FAA Subject Codes and let you figure it out. Yes I do realize that most of the question pertained to all categories, and it would not be cost effective for them to issues 8 separate books.

I wish that they had formatted it in such a manner that the first section of the book had the question that pertained to all categories. Than have separate chapters that pertained only to the category you were interested in; airplane, balloon, glider and etc.

Tim
bryancobb

Dauntless

Post by bryancobb »

Piet,
When you select Sport Pilot Airplane, as the test you want to study,
The Dauntless software (I'm sure the rest too) culls every question that doesn't apply to you. Then it allows you to access the ones that do apply, BY SUBJECT AREA.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
Paul Hamilton

FAA Sport Pilot Knowledge Test

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Yes the FAA questions downloaded from the web site is not very good. We have designed a CD to focus only on the category you want to study. If you select sport pilot airplane, it provides only the airplane questions by subject. Very easy to study, get an endorsement to take the test at a testing facility, and pass.

You can get this Prepware CD at www.ap-stores.com

I suggest you get a 90% on the practice tests to make sure you pass the actual test no problem. I have not heard of ANYONE failing using this formula.

I heard the fee for the knowledge tests just went up to about $150. Make sure you pass the first time at this price per test.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites