clearing in the pattern

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

markfnkl

clearing in the pattern

Post by markfnkl »

Hi Paul:

I purchased Sport Pilot Checkride a week or so ago and have viewed it more than once. I've found it entertaining as well as informative. The fellow who turns up with his instructional materials still in the box is a great illustration of what not to do!

You really emphasize the importance of clearing all turns, and I have been very diligent in all lessons since viewing the CD to both look and announce the "clear" to my instructor. Trying to develop good habits partly because it's of course the right and safe way to fly, and partly because I've become paranoid about blowing the checkride with one omitted clear!

Which brings me to my question about clearing in the pattern. Normally, when flying, say, in the practice area and making a left turn, I would only "clear left." But in the pattern, there might very well be traffic on the side opposite the turn. For example, when turning left from crosswind to downwind, conceivably there could be a plane entering the pattern on the downwind, coming from the right. Do you insist that in the pattern, the applicant clear his turns in both directions?

Thanks and regards,

Mark Finkelstein
Ithaca, NY
member, East Hill Flying Club
28 hours in a Flight Design Ct
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Mark,

Where did you purchase the Sport Pilot Checkride DVD at?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
markfnkl

Post by markfnkl »

I got it from Adventure Productions, though when I went to load their website just now I couldn't get through.
markfnkl

link for Sport Pilot Checkride DVD

Post by markfnkl »

Brian, the site is working now. Here's a link:

http://www.ap-stores.com/p-84-sport-pil ... combo.aspx
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Awesome - thanks a bunch. I'm getting ready to do my solo, so learning what I need to do on a checkride will be super helpful.
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
markfnkl

Post by markfnkl »

I'm at about the same stage. I found the DVD quite helpful. Let me know what you think!
Paul Hamilton

DVD and clearing turns

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Thanks for the feedback on the DVD. It hopefully provides some humor plus important information to the process.

As far as clearing turns, you need to clear the area all around you, plus above and below for maneuvers. The easiest is to do a 180 degree turn to clearly see all around you. This is most accepted by the FAA.

In the pattern, always clear the area with your head on a swivel because there are many aircraft flying. Be especially vigilant during the downwind as aircraft are entering at the 45, plus turning from base onto final where aircraft are coming in.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
ibgarrett

Various student pilots on the DVD

Post by ibgarrett »

Paul - I'm not sure where that one guy came from, the one who got the pink slip, but I was more prepared after my second week than that guy was (I know he was acting a bit - but still. :D)

I just watched this last night and had a x-country today, so I was feeling a little bit better about finishing up.
Brian Garrett
[email protected]
markfnkl

Post by markfnkl »

Paul, many thanks for your reply. Since viewing your DVD I've made it an absolute rule to call my "clear" out loud every time. I think you bring just the right touch of humor to your work, without overdoing it. I will definitely be re-viewing the DVD as my check ride approaches. For that matter, I should watch in the next few days, as my instructor has told me I'm ready for my pre-solo flight with our outstanding chief instructor, David St. George.

Thanks and regards,

Mark
East Hill Flying Club
Ithaca, NY