Sport pilot upgrading to private

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Nunya

Post by Nunya »

EppyGA wrote:Seems like this could be beaten to death. Why is it such an issue to not just get the endorsements as if you were a PP student? Seems like you would just have the instructor do the the endorsement on your medical and be done with it, no questions asked.
It is not really an issue except if you read the solo endorsement on a student pilot license it is a different endorsement. Also as Jeff stated there isn't a space on my 3rd class medical for a student pilot solo endorsement as it is only a 3rd class medical and not the combined medical/license that a PP student gets. As someone else stated (I forget who) I am not even eligeble for a student pilot license as I am a certified pilot already. The endorsement I have to fly the C172 is basically the same thing a PP would get to solo a twin simply put.
EppyGA

Post by EppyGA »

Jeff Tipton wrote:As a sport pilot you would not necessarily receive a third class physical with a student certificate. Without the student certificate there would be no place to write the type of aircraft you are authorized to fly. You see technically in one sense you are not a student, you are a certified pilot.

He did the right thing. He was not sure and asked. Through the discussions an answer was arrived at that works for him. The fun begins when different representatives of the FAA interpret things differently and we are caught in the middle.
Thanks, appreciate the response. Helped me understand, hadn't thought about the third class w or wo student thing.
Randy Epstein
Paul Hamilton

sport pilot to solo non LSA

Post by Paul Hamilton »

If you have an FAA Sport Pilot Certificate, unfortinuatly it does not do you much good to solo a non LSA.

You need to get the student medical version to fly solo. A private pilot CFI must endorse the Student medical with the make/model and provide the appropiate endorsements in the logbook to fly a 172 solo. 90 days is the longest logbook endorssement.

Hopefully this clarifies this isssue.
Sincerely,
Paul
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites