Teaching in a 152 (Loophole Maybe)?

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

bryancobb

Teaching in a 152 (Loophole Maybe)?

Post by bryancobb »

I have a commercial instrument with a current medical certificate so I can operate a Cessna 152 as PIC.
I am also a CFI Sport Pilot. Can I make entries in one of my a Sport Pilot student's log book for flight instruction I have given him in a Cessna 152 as long as I was POSITIVELY the PIC?
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

No you can not...if all you have is the CFIS, not the CFI, you can only act as an instructor in a Light Sport Aircraft.
Now since you have your Commercial Instrument why don't you just addon your CFI certificate?
Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Correct. Go for your CFI private if you want to teach in a 152.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites