Can any DPE do my sport pilot checkride?

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Doss79

Can any DPE do my sport pilot checkride?

Post by Doss79 »

Can any DPE do my Sport Pilot checkride or does it have to be a special "Sport pilot" DPE? Thanks.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Sport Pilot only. Big problem, not enough or poorly trained.
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Jim Stewart wrote:Sport Pilot only. Big problem, not enough or poorly trained.
It is. I'm trying to find someone in a city with a population of over 4,000,000. May have to make a 3-4hr drive to find a DPE.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Most all the Sport Pilot DPE's are listed at
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... ort_pilot/

A local FSDO can appoint regular ASEL DPE's to do sport pilot checkrides also which may or may not be on the list.

Call the local FSDO and ask them. It is their job to supply DPE's to meet the need.

Paul
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Paul Hamilton wrote:Most all the Sport Pilot DPE's are listed at
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... ort_pilot/

A local FSDO can appoint regular ASEL DPE's to do sport pilot checkrides also which may or may not be on the list.

Call the local FSDO and ask them. It is their job to supply DPE's to meet the need.

Paul
Really? How long does that take to get appointed?
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I have no idea how long it takes.

It probably depends on how cooperative, informed of the proces and/or busy the FSDO is.

If you want the details or support call the main Light Sport FAA office (I call headquarters) at 405 954 6400. Have them inform the FSDO on how to do it.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites