Dead reckoning in checkride?

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Doss79

Dead reckoning in checkride?

Post by Doss79 »

Do the examiners often test you in dead reckoning knowledge during the checkride? That's my weakness :oops: I'm bad at math and easily forget how to use the E6B!
cdillis
Location: Erie Municipal Airport; Erie Colorado; Centennial Airport, Denver, CO

Post by cdillis »

You can absolutely expect to be tested on dead reckoning and pilotage. These are the only types of navigation a sport pilot is required to know, so you can bet the examiner will want to see that you know how to find your way around.

As for your E6B problems... just practice, practice, practice. Run through a bunch of problems while on the ground, either by yourself or with your instructor. Get good with the E6B in the comfort of your own living room before trying to work with it in the air.

Good luck on your checkride!
Christopher Dillis
President, Skyraider Aviation, Inc

Erie Municipal Airport
395 Airport Drive
Erie, CO 80516

Centennial Airport
13376 E. Control Tower Road
Englewood, CO 80112

http://www.skyraideraviation.com
303-926-0114
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Another way around the rotating slide rule E6-B is the electronic version CX2 at http://www.ap-stores.com/p-70-cx-2-path ... puter.aspx
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Doss79

Post by Doss79 »

Thanks Paul, but I've practically barred myself from spending anymore on tools and gadgets at the moment...

I'm fine with the E6B, it's just a hassle using it in flight when flying in the backseat of the Cub with the wind.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I personally test the use of the E6B on the ground and not in flight with open cockpits.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites