Nu-CAVU Restaurant at Kobelt Airport

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Nu-CAVU Restaurant at Kobelt Airport

Post by rcpilot »

So a friend's 152 club has been getting back to having meet ups now that Covid in the NE is starting to calm down a bit. Yesterday's pick was Nu-CAVU restaurant at Kobelt airport in Wallkill, NY. Now I use the term "airport" loosely. When I had a look at Google maps it was a little hard to figure out where the runway was since it has no markings and is only 50' wide. Didn't look like a lot of people keep planes there either. Since I hadn't met up with them in a while(most of them are based in Mass, RI or New Hampshire) and the weather looked like it would be OK I decided to go. So besides the rather narrow runway there are tall trees at the approach end to runway 3 that makes the approach a bit interesting. Had a pretty good turnout with several planes parked in front of the restaurant. They have an outside, covered, dining area. While they have propane heaters it's open on 3 sides and with a bit of a breeze starting to get chilly. Otherwise the food and service was good.
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Nu-CAVU Restaurant at Kobelt Airport

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Been to NU CAVU many times over the years. Food and service have always been top notch. It can get busy in the summer months with local drive in traffic. The runway now is way better than it was years ago, before they threw money into the new runway, which has a huge dip in it at the south end. The old runway, late 80’s, could have been mistaken for the surface of the MOON.

Definitely worth a visit, just watch the density altitude in the summer.