$256 Cheeseburger

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

$256 Cheeseburger

Post by TimTaylor »

I flew the SkyCatcher from KGVL up to KGMU today for a $240 cheeseburger, which is now $256 due to a price increase for the SkyCatcher. I just happened to run into FastEddieBenson and CoolKaren as well as Jim Flock and his wife. They were there for a PoA event. I have to say Jim Flock's Tecnam is the most beautiful SLSA I have ever seen. I've seen pictures of them in the past, but today was the first time I saw one in person.

I realize they may be a little heavy for some people and some missions, but if I was in the market for a new SLSA and wanted to spend the money, that Tecnam would definitely be high on my list. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. Duh.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Post by FastEddieB »

Nice seeing you again*.

What a gorgeous flight. Looking at winds aloft the night before, about 25k from the west at 9,000’, I was concerned about turbulence from the mountains. But there was a significant temperature inversion - about 3°C on the surface and 7°C at 7,000’ - and that may have led to the perfectly smooth air we found.

Nice meeting a lot of the POA cronies in person.

Not easy to see, but the Harris VOR is on the peak just right of center in the second photo.

*Tim, don’t take it personal - I have what can almost be described as facial aphasia. I recognize people but can have a heck of a time placing them!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Eddie, I like the placard on your airspeed indicator. 8)
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Scooper wrote:Eddie, I like the placard on your airspeed indicator. 8)
Belt AND suspenders!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Edie , how fast is your typical cruise speed ... the picture above shows about 80 knots for 5100 rpm , that seems pretty slow .. I mean sky arrow doesn’t look like a very draggy plane ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I typically see 93-95 kts at 5,200 rpm, close to 100 at 5400 but with a much higher fuel burn.

I decreased the pitch on my prop a bit to get 5,200 rpm on takeoff and climb (up from 4,900) - that helped in those regimes, but I think it hurt cruise performance overall.

Though the Sky Arrow sure looks clean, I think the form and cooling drag of the pylon-mounted engine hurts. Also, the prop is dealing with air that's already been disturbed and/or blocked by the engine and wings, and that probably doesn't help. Combine that with a relatively high empty weight and no wheel pants, and one should definitely not buy a Sky Arrow based on speed.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I almost cancelled my flight due to possible turbulence. However, I finally figured out is was supposedly ending earlier than I thought. I flew up at 5500 MSL in perfectly smooth air doing 134 knots ground speed. I flew back at 3300 MSL doing 99 knots ground speed in relatively smooth air. It was a very enjoyable flight, as most are.
Retired from flying.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

TimTaylor wrote:I have to say Jim Flock's Tecnam is the most beautiful SLSA I have ever seen. I've seen pictures of them in the past, but today was the first time I saw one in person.
Tim, which Tecnam model does Jim have?
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

P2008 I think. I'm not familiar with the Tecnam line.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FastEddieB wrote:I typically see 93-95 kts at 5,200 rpm, close to 100 at 5400 but with a much higher fuel burn.

I decreased the pitch on my prop a bit to get 5,200 rpm on takeoff and climb (up from 4,900) - that helped in those regimes, but I think it hurt cruise performance overall.

Though the Sky Arrow sure looks clean, I think the form and cooling drag of the pylon-mounted engine hurts. Also, the prop is dealing with air that's already been disturbed and/or blocked by the engine and wings, and that probably doesn't help. Combine that with a relatively high empty weight and no wheel pants, and one should definitely not buy a Sky Arrow based on speed.
Oh yea. If I were to buy a Sky Arrow , it would be solely based on that awesome bubble canopy + non-obtrusive wings configuration. Kind of like best of both worlds , very open canopy, very much like my Sting, but unlike my Sting no wings obscuring the view.
The only ( and for me really big ) downside was the seating configuration.
Anyway, your canopy shots always looks awesome hehe ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Tandem seating is fine as long as you have intercom.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Warmi wrote:Kind of like best of both worlds , very open canopy, very much like my Sting, but unlike my Sting no wings obscuring the view.
Also allows for cool, if weird, panoramas from the back seat...

A seat that the Kool One does not seem to mind at all!

Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
akroguy

Post by akroguy »

Love the pics! Looking forward to some holiday aviating in the Sportstar this coming week. Severe clear and cold forecast. (ok, cool to those in the northern climes).
2006 Evektor Sportstar SE
E98 Los Lunas, NM