Page 1 of 1

$256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:33 pm
by TimTaylor
I flew the SkyCatcher from KGVL up to KGMU today for a $240 cheeseburger, which is now $256 due to a price increase for the SkyCatcher. I just happened to run into FastEddieBenson and CoolKaren as well as Jim Flock and his wife. They were there for a PoA event. I have to say Jim Flock's Tecnam is the most beautiful SLSA I have ever seen. I've seen pictures of them in the past, but today was the first time I saw one in person.

I realize they may be a little heavy for some people and some missions, but if I was in the market for a new SLSA and wanted to spend the money, that Tecnam would definitely be high on my list. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. Duh.

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:18 am
by FastEddieB
Nice seeing you again*.

What a gorgeous flight. Looking at winds aloft the night before, about 25k from the west at 9,000’, I was concerned about turbulence from the mountains. But there was a significant temperature inversion - about 3°C on the surface and 7°C at 7,000’ - and that may have led to the perfectly smooth air we found.

Nice meeting a lot of the POA cronies in person.

Image

Image

Not easy to see, but the Harris VOR is on the peak just right of center in the second photo.


*Tim, don’t take it personal - I have what can almost be described as facial aphasia. I recognize people but can have a heck of a time placing them!

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 am
by Scooper
Eddie, I like the placard on your airspeed indicator. 8)

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 am
by FastEddieB
Scooper wrote:Eddie, I like the placard on your airspeed indicator. 8)


Belt AND suspenders!

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:39 am
by Warmi
Edie , how fast is your typical cruise speed ... the picture above shows about 80 knots for 5100 rpm , that seems pretty slow .. I mean sky arrow doesn’t look like a very draggy plane ...

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 am
by FastEddieB
I typically see 93-95 kts at 5,200 rpm, close to 100 at 5400 but with a much higher fuel burn.

I decreased the pitch on my prop a bit to get 5,200 rpm on takeoff and climb (up from 4,900) - that helped in those regimes, but I think it hurt cruise performance overall.

Though the Sky Arrow sure looks clean, I think the form and cooling drag of the pylon-mounted engine hurts. Also, the prop is dealing with air that's already been disturbed and/or blocked by the engine and wings, and that probably doesn't help. Combine that with a relatively high empty weight and no wheel pants, and one should definitely not buy a Sky Arrow based on speed.

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:11 pm
by TimTaylor
I almost cancelled my flight due to possible turbulence. However, I finally figured out is was supposedly ending earlier than I thought. I flew up at 5500 MSL in perfectly smooth air doing 134 knots ground speed. I flew back at 3300 MSL doing 99 knots ground speed in relatively smooth air. It was a very enjoyable flight, as most are.

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:32 pm
by Scooper
TimTaylor wrote:I have to say Jim Flock's Tecnam is the most beautiful SLSA I have ever seen. I've seen pictures of them in the past, but today was the first time I saw one in person.

Tim, which Tecnam model does Jim have?

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:36 pm
by TimTaylor
P2008 I think. I'm not familiar with the Tecnam line.

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:04 pm
by Warmi
FastEddieB wrote:I typically see 93-95 kts at 5,200 rpm, close to 100 at 5400 but with a much higher fuel burn.

I decreased the pitch on my prop a bit to get 5,200 rpm on takeoff and climb (up from 4,900) - that helped in those regimes, but I think it hurt cruise performance overall.

Though the Sky Arrow sure looks clean, I think the form and cooling drag of the pylon-mounted engine hurts. Also, the prop is dealing with air that's already been disturbed and/or blocked by the engine and wings, and that probably doesn't help. Combine that with a relatively high empty weight and no wheel pants, and one should definitely not buy a Sky Arrow based on speed.


Oh yea. If I were to buy a Sky Arrow , it would be solely based on that awesome bubble canopy + non-obtrusive wings configuration. Kind of like best of both worlds , very open canopy, very much like my Sting, but unlike my Sting no wings obscuring the view.
The only ( and for me really big ) downside was the seating configuration.
Anyway, your canopy shots always looks awesome hehe ...

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:16 pm
by TimTaylor
Tandem seating is fine as long as you have intercom.

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:47 pm
by FastEddieB
Warmi wrote:Kind of like best of both worlds , very open canopy, very much like my Sting, but unlike my Sting no wings obscuring the view.


Also allows for cool, if weird, panoramas from the back seat...

Image

A seat that the Kool One does not seem to mind at all!

Image

Re: $256 Cheeseburger

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:56 pm
by akroguy
Love the pics! Looking forward to some holiday aviating in the Sportstar this coming week. Severe clear and cold forecast. (ok, cool to those in the northern climes).