Triple Tree Aerodrome

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Triple Tree Aerodrome

Post by MrMorden »

Hey all...

Yesterday I had my second chance to visit Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00) in Woodruff, SC for the "Tailwheel and Fabric Lunch Fly-In". I don't have a tailwheel, but they said they were happy for all airplanes to attend.

Triple Tree Aerodrome is a private airport built and run by the Hartness brothers, who made a fortune in bottling plants and equipment. Their love of aviation drove them to make Triple Tree and put the land in a special trust, so the 430 acre property can never be used for anything other than aviation use. They have a P-51D, a C-47 transport, and many other rare and interesting airplanes (all in restored flying condition) on the airfield.

Some of the events are large enough that SC00 has created an Oshkosh-style approach procedure, which can be viewed here:

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/pilo ... lscale.php

It's a pretty simple procedure, and coordinates are provided for all the waypoints to plug into your GPS. Essentially you cross over midpoint of the field at 1700ft MSL, then make either left traffic for runway 3 or right traffic for 21.

Here's a video of the approach. They want traffic in tight (no farther out than the far edge of the lake you can see in the video). Because I was one of the first ones there and there was nobody else around, I made a very tight pattern and basically did a 180° turn from downwind to final. I also landed very long, because parking was at the far end and I'd rather fly than taxi! :)

Camera is under the left wing, there is a little bow to the wing because I was using the GoPro "Medium" setting, which is slightly wide angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJ92zW7kx8
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Cluemeister

Re: Triple Tree Aerodrome

Post by Cluemeister »

Great video. How was the grass field to land on?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Cluemeister wrote:Great video. How was the grass field to land on?
Easy. Triple Tree is almost like landing on pavement, they use special blends of grass and cut it down like a putting green. It would make for a *great* introduction to landing on grass. Unfortunately, it's closed to land on except when they are having events. The main event is the "Triple Tree Fly-In" in the fall, and hundreds of airplanes show up from all over the country, and you can camp on the grounds.

In some ways that that event is more fun than Oshkosh.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

They also have a big model airplane event there every year. It would be the Oshkosh type event for the giant scale model airplane world.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MrMorden wrote:The main event is the "Triple Tree Fly-In" in the fall, and hundreds of airplanes show up from all over the country, and you can camp on the grounds.

In some ways that that event is more fun than Oshkosh.
I flew in for that event a few years ago. It was a blast.

A calendar of events can be found at their website here: http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

PS - Great video!
Aviation Real Estate Broker