$100 Chicken Sandwich plus a surprise in Reading, PA ...

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

MackAttack

$100 Chicken Sandwich plus a surprise in Reading, PA ...

Post by MackAttack »

Not a hamburger, but ...

I did a Bristell demo from the US distributor in Lancaster, PA (which has a great restaurant at the field also, Fiorentino's, that comes highly recommended by some pilot friends of mine in the DC area, but I didn't get to try it).

On the demo, we flew to Reading, PA. Small but busy airport with commuter service. They have "restaurant parking" for GA aircraft right at the terminal. We ordered ahead for grilled chicken sandwiches. Restaurant has a nice view of the ramp and runway ... Food is good, not great, typical bar fare ...

When we arrived, the joint was surprisingly busy for mid-afternoon on a Thursday, we were seated by the window... We immediately noticed the crowd, balloons and a karaoke thing going on ... We asked - was it a wedding? Anniversary? Birthday party?

No, said the server ... It was a wake! Long time airport employee had passed away after a cancer battle and they had all come back to the airport restaurant for a life celebration right in that little terminal restaurant ...

As we ate, we listened to the karaoke, sometimes duets.... Sitting through a $100 hamburger and karaoke wake was a first for both me and the Bristell guy! Not something you see every day!!

If you are flying out that way, I can recommend both airports to you ... I can't promise the karaoke experience however!

Cheers

PS - added via edit - if you do go there, make a note of the code as you enter the terminal (through bag claim), because you will need to use the code on a keypad to get back out to your plane!
Wm.Ince

Re: $100 Chicken Sandwich plus a surprise in Reading, PA ...

Post by Wm.Ince »

Aside from the food, tell us what you thought of the Bristell.
How'd it fly, land and handle? Were the controls light or heavy?
Performance good or not so good?
Did you find it comfortable?
What was the workmanship (fit and finish) like?
Overall, how did it stack up against other LSA's?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

I refuse to answer your questions in this section of the board ... I will only speak of chicken sandwiches ... *laughing*

I will post a Bristell PIREP up above ...
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MackAttack wrote:I refuse to answer your questions in this section of the board ... I will only speak of chicken sandwiches ... *laughing
Grilled? Flat top grill or over an open flame? Seasoned? LOL
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MackAttack wrote:I refuse to answer your questions in this section of the board ... I will only speak of chicken sandwiches ... *laughing*
I will post a Bristell PIREP up above ...
:D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Flocker wrote:
MackAttack wrote:I refuse to answer your questions in this section of the board ... I will only speak of chicken sandwiches ... *laughing
Grilled? Flat top grill or over an open flame? Seasoned? LOL
Grilled. Flat top. Not seasoned ... 8)
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Only been to the restaurant at RDG once, this past spring...I'd say your assessment is pretty much right on: typical bar/pub food; solid, nothing special. That's wild that there was a wake there! I need to get back there and check out the museum. One of the few Class D airports with an associated approach control, so you have to get a squawk code/clearance to take off.

Have eaten Fiorentino's at LNS several times now. It's pretty good -- not the best Italian food I've ever eaten, but it's very solid, and combined with the fact that you fly in, taxi right up, and walk in (also need to take note of the door code...I take a pic on my phone and then delete it after I go back out) makes for a fun evening out.

(Yeah, I'm dragging up threads from the dead...that's what happens when you don't stop by for a while and start getting caught up. :shock: :oops: :lol: )
Andy / PP-ASEL
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Hey, Andy, thanks for digging it up. That karaoke wake made for a unique $100 sandwich experience, that's for sure. Heard good things about Fiorentino's but didn't make it that trip ...

Cheers