Dec. 27th: Lunch with the Professor!

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

AJChenMPH

Dec. 27th: Lunch with the Professor!

Post by AJChenMPH »

The Professor (aka, Paul) and I have made plans to meet up on Saturday, Dec. 27th, out at his airport, KLHV.

My tentative plan is to arrive around 1130EST, hang out for a couple of hours and get some lunch, and then be back on my way back to KTTN around 1430EST.

Any and all are welcome to join us. Given the weather this time of year, I'll make a tentative go/no-go decision Friday evening around 1900EST and a final go/no-go decision on Saturday morning at 0930EST.
Andy / PP-ASEL
AJChenMPH

Re: Dec. 27th: Lunch with the Professor!

Post by AJChenMPH »

For anyone interested in joining us, the weather looks like this will be a GO. Please reply so Paul knows how many people to expect. (I might be bringing a friend...if he ever gets back to me.)

Okay, so I posted at more like 2000EST instead of 1900EST...
Andy / PP-ASEL
AJChenMPH

Re: Dec. 27th: Lunch with the Professor!

Post by AJChenMPH »

Made it out and had a nice time chatting with Paul...he took the attached pic.

Had an interesting experience landing into LHV. My first time there, so I was a bit conservative on the altitude and stayed at 4,500' until I saw it as I was passing the ridge just to the east/southeast. I hadn't swung out to the east quite enough, so I was high and close to the airport as I made my turn onto a 3-mile final. Did a loooooong slip in on to short final, but was still carrying too much speed as I crossed the threshold, so I bounced the landing...decided discretion was the better part of valor and did a go-around.

The cool thing was that Paul was just coming back from giving a "never-ever" his first lesson, so he wound up in the landing pattern right behind me...neat to chat on the radio for about 30 seconds.

Thanks again for the hospitality, Paul! Will be back out soon...
Attachments
Lock Haven.jpg
Lock Haven.jpg (214.77 KiB) Viewed 13539 times
Andy / PP-ASEL