Page 1 of 1

Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:38 am
by MrMorden
The EAA Fly-In and Chili cook is happening at the Blairsville Airport from 10a-2p on Saturday. This was a fun event last year, and the wife and I are planning to attend again this year if weather permits. Is anybody else attending? FastEddie? Flocker?

Last year we were witness to many thrilling displays of airmanship in a spot landing contest, as well as a display by a Cub driver of "what not to do in an airplane." ;)

It should be a good time.

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am
by Flocker
MrMorden wrote:The EAA Fly-In and Chili cook is happening at the Blairsville Airport from 10a-2p on Saturday. This was a fun event last year, and the wife and I are planning to attend again this year if weather permits. Is anybody else attending? FastEddie? Flocker?

Last year we were witness to many thrilling displays of airmanship in a spot landing contest, as well as a display by a Cub driver of "what not to do in an airplane." ;)

It should be a good time.


Thanks for the heads up. We're closing on our new home on Friday and we're moving in on Saturday.

Wx permitting, I do plan to fly in to the airshow at RMG on Sunday. I'll post the link in a different thread.

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:14 am
by Jack Tyler
Andy, we're co-hosting a day visit to Arcadia Municipal X06 on Saturday to review their progress on Florida's first Pilot Shelter. And it sure looks like your gathering and ours are going to benefit from some great weather! (Oops, I shouldn't have said that, should I?)

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:28 pm
by MrMorden
Jack Tyler wrote:Andy, we're co-hosting a day visit to Arcadia Municipal X06 on Saturday to review their progress on Florida's first Pilot Shelter. And it sure looks like your gathering and ours are going to benefit from some great weather! (Oops, I shouldn't have said that, should I?)


I hope you are right. We will have to meet up some other time, you are not that far away.

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 am
by MrMorden
The Blairsville fly-in was fun, though turnout was light because of the airshow in Rome. My wife and I flew up in the CTSW, accompanies by my friend Kip in his Waiex (Y-tailed Sonex). My max cruise was about the same speed as his economy cruise, so it worked out pretty well. Winds were gusty, but generally under ten knots at the ground. Just enough to make it fun without causing cold sweats.

Image

Image

Image

And on the way home the tailwind at altitude allowed the CT to get a new GPS ground speed record in level flight...144 knots (~166mph).

Image

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:23 am
by drseti
Nice pix, Andy. Thanks for posting.

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:43 am
by FastEddieB
That event is sponsored by my EAA group, and Karen normally brings some of her world-famous vegetarian chili and cornbread.

This year we skipped it in favor of Blue Ridge's "Paws in the Park".

Jake had a pretty aggressive melanoma removed from his tongue a few months back, and while they seemed to get all of it, the prognosis is still not great. Neither radiation nor an oral cancer vaccine seem very effective at actually buying them time, so his time remaining with us may be measured more in months rather than years.

So we've been spoiling him, and both he and the crowds along the parade route seem to get a kick out of a dog in a sidecar:

Image

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it, even without the "drunken Cub" routine from last year!

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am
by drseti
Eddie, I never realized you have a sidecar for your BMW. Very pretty!

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 am
by Flocker
MrMorden wrote:And on the way home the tailwind at altitude allowed the CT to get a new GPS ground speed record in level flight...144 knots (~166mph).


Nice!

Re: Blairsville GA (DZJ) Fly-In

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:57 pm
by designrs
Very cool… everything.