Smoketown Fly-in Aug 9th

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

David

Smoketown Fly-in Aug 9th

Post by David »

Anyone in the PA MD NJ area attending the fly-in?

[url]www.http://smoketownairport.com/[/url]
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
AJChenMPH

Re: Smoketown Fly-in Aug 9th

Post by AJChenMPH »

Hmmm...first I'm hearing of it. Let me ask my CFI -- I've got a lesson scheduled tomorrow with him. Suspect he has another student scheduled right after me, but if not, maybe I can get him to reschedule his original plan for me and we'll log cross-country time instead. I'm kind of ahead of schedule on my syllabus anyways.
Andy / PP-ASEL
drseti

Post by drseti »

Glad to hear, Andy - not just that you're ahead of your syllabus, but also that you're using one. You'd be amazed how many students (and CFIs!) ask "what's that?". :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Actually, Prof, to be honest -- there's no formal syllabus that my CFI and I are using, though it appears to be based on the program that's used at the local community college (with which my flight school is affiliated). My CFI simply feels that I'm about halfway through the PPL skillset that I need to learn to pass my checkride, and I've only got ~13 hours logged so far. :shock: (I just solo'ed yesterday, and immediately did half of a cross-country trip when my CFI invited me along for a ferry ride he was giving to KACY...on his dime, too.)

Alas, no go on flying into Smoketown...he does have another student right after me... :(
Andy / PP-ASEL
drseti

Post by drseti »

AJChenMPH wrote:I just solo'ed yesterday,
Wow - congrats, Andy!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

drseti wrote:Wow - congrats, Andy!
Thanks, Prof! It was actually a little bit of a letdown -- my CFI has been so hands-off on the controls for about the last six hours or so, that flying the pattern felt rote. Not to mention that there was suddenly no one to talk to in the airplane, so I wound up being a little chattier with the tower than normal. :mrgreen:

And then because we immediately launched on the XC flight, by the time we got back to KTTN, everyone had left...so my CFI and I were by ourselves when he cut up my shirttail. :?

Proof is in the pudding:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 9081babac1
Last edited by AJChenMPH on Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andy / PP-ASEL
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Actually, Andy, it should be plenty chatty in the cockpit when you're solo, since you ought to be talking to yourself constantly, reciting all your checklists. I tell my students if they didn't hear themselves say somehing out loud, they probably didn't do it.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Great photo, Andy! You look so happy, I just couldn't resist posting it to http://www.facebook.com/SportFlying.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

AJChenMPH wrote: . . . "I just solo'ed yesterday" . . .
Congratulations buddy.
Hang in there and march on! . . . :D
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Thanks, everyone! (And apologies to David for *totally* hijacking his thread...)

Amen, Prof -- note that I said I had no one to talk to, not that I had nothing to say. ;) I indeed was plenty chatty talking to myself, particularly going over the checklists and calling out speeds, etc....just like to have a conversation now and again with someone else to make sure I haven't gone crazy. (Quiet in the peanut gallery...that means you, Statler and Waldorf...)
Last edited by AJChenMPH on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy / PP-ASEL
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

AJChenMPH wrote:
drseti wrote:Wow - congrats, Andy!
Thanks, Prof! It was actually a little bit of a letdown -- my CFI has been so hands-off on the controls for about the last six hours or so, that flying the pattern felt rote.
Yes! Congrats!
I recall a similar feeling about my solo, except that a PA-38 climbs much better after losing 250#+ of instructor!
- Bruce
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Merlinspop wrote:I recall a similar feeling about my solo, except that a PA-38 climbs much better after losing 250#+ of instructor!
I noticed that, too! Teased my instructor afterwards about being dead weight. :lol:
Andy / PP-ASEL