AOPA Frederick Homecoming Fly-In

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

David

AOPA Frederick Homecoming Fly-In

Post by David »

Anyone planning on attending the AOPA in MD (Oct 4th). I am volunteering on Friday and will spend the night. Anyone else want to come in early we can plan on a dinner. Howard how about bringing that new bird :D

Eddie I maybe you can make the trip also and i promise not to leave before you get there. Paul and Dave how about you?

http://www.aopa.org/Community-and-Event ... /Frederick
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
drseti

Re: AOPA Frederick Homecoming Fly-In

Post by drseti »

I'll be there, David (wx permitting), but not until Saturday.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

drseti wrote:I'll be there, David (wx permitting), but not until Saturday.
Ditto on the wx permitting, but my long term wx wishing is positive :D
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

If I didn't already have plans to be elsewhere that weekend, I'd have driven out to you and we could have split the flying costs. :) Maybe next time?
Andy / PP-ASEL
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

David,

I may be in the UK on that date. Will keep an eye on it closer to the time.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I was there this morning. Decent turnout despite the rainy morning. A smattering of LSAs on display. SeaRey, Bristell, an auto gyro.

Sorry you couldn't make it, Paul.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sorry I missed it, Bruce. The wx is only now clearing up at KLHV, and it's damned windy. Great day to be on the ground.

OTOH, it should be beautiful for tomorrow's Sentimental Journey breakfast. Come on up!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

David,

I only just now same your nice invite.

No way a trip would have worked out for us in any case right now, but thanks for thinking of me.

We may be headed up to Peru, Indiana in a couple weeks for Karen to visit friends.

Then may be driving our travel trailer down to Lake Placid, FL, to keep it there for the winter at a friend's landing strip. Then we'll have the option to fly down and head out from there on side trips with the trailer.

Busy, busy, busy...
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

The two airplanes that really cranked up my drool response at the fly-in/Open House was the Bristell and the Great Lakes 2T. I know the GL isn't an LSA, but man, that thing is beautiful and would be a tone of fun.
- Bruce
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Merlinspop wrote:The two airplanes that really cranked up my drool response at the fly-in/Open House was the Bristell and the Great Lakes 2T. I know the GL isn't an LSA, but man, that thing is beautiful and would be a tone of fun.
Tell us what you liked about the Bristell. . . . :)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Merlinspop wrote:The two airplanes that really cranked up my drool response at the fly-in/Open House was the Bristell and the Great Lakes 2T. I know the GL isn't an LSA, but man, that thing is beautiful and would be a tone of fun.
Tell us what you liked about the Bristell. . . . :)
Well, it was a private owner's plane, so it was buttoned up tight. John M was there. Since I am 100% tire kicker at the moment, I made an effort to fade away whenever anyone came up to him. It's just a very good looking little airplane. The one there was well equipped (I'm at a loss to remember if it was 1 Skyview or 2, and some other equipment questions). John said that particular airplane had an empty weight of ~720, which is significantly less than a comparable SportCruiser. ~600# useful load is huge for an LSA. When asked how the heck Milan achieved that, he said "that's propriety" which always scares me. People have been building planes out of aluminum for a long time, and achieving that large of a weight savings is... well, big. He did say that skin panels are only as thick as they need to be depending on the load on a specific spot. I'd want to learn a lot more about were they shaved off the pounds, ounces and grams. I'd be afraid that this might be one of those 'just barely' planes we discussed on the other thread.
- Bruce
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Merlinspop wrote:I'd be afraid that this might be one of those 'just barely' planes we discussed on the other thread.
Bruce,
Regarding the Bristell LSA, I don't think that is the case.
Much of the engineering that went into the Sport Cruiser was applied to the Bristell, including many other excellent upgrades. Like for instance, the dihedral in the wing and the reinforcement, at top of wing, where people stand.
And the creature comforts are unmatched, very roomy. Bristell has 2 more inches of shoulder room that the CTLS, which already sports 49 inches.
It handles very well, great flight control balance and feels like a much heavier airplane than LSA.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator