A great way to spend a day!

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

A great way to spend a day!

Post by FastEddieB »

MovingOn contacted me a couple days ago about doing lunch today at Rutherford County airport (KFQD), just east of Asheville.

Karen was in Knoxville comforting a sick friend, so I was free. I sent out some feelers to a few local site members, but it was way too short notice.

Anyway, flew over in a straight line, climbing to 9,500' to clear terrain and give more options in an emergency.

Climbing, with the rising terrain still flying east towards Asheville:

We arrived within a few minutes of each other. Here's he is with his rental Sky Catcher:

After a nice lunch and conversation, went back a more southerly route, which I could accomplish at 4,500', then 6,500' for a spell, again to give more options for an emergency landing.

Really quite spectacular scenery:

A few weeks ago Karen and I went to an Airstream Rally with our new CampLite trailer. It was at the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds near Hiawassee, which my return route happened to take me over:

I GoPro'd my two landings. I may condense them into a video, but there was not much special about them.

Anyway, 3.1 on the hobbs, and about 15 gals of mogas burned.

A great way to spend a beautiful day!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MovingOn

Re: A great way to spend a day!

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Re: A great way to spend a day!

Post by FastEddieB »

Well, I did go ahead and post the two landings to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVW9JVNdMWw

In the second, the slip was intentional - I'm often high enough on final (though the GoPro masks that) that a little fine tuning with a slip gets me where I want to be.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]