8th Annual 2014 Page, AZ. Fly-In

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Bullfrog Marina Resort...
Make those reservations now. It's time again to work on the Page, AZ Fly-In. We changed a few things last year that added some new fun. We did the river raft trip the day before the actual Fly-In day. It was a great raft trip. I would highly recommend it.
We changed up some of the routes last year which turned out well so we'll do it again.

The Page, AZ. Fly-In date is October 16-19, 2014

We will fly the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley (breakfast), Zion Canyon and Bryce Canyon (breakfast), Bullfrog Marina and Resort (breakfast).

I have blocked off 35 rooms. We will be at the Holiday Inn with a rate of $66 (2 queen beds). I hope to have a record number of CT's and LSA aircraft for our Page Fly-In. Just like last year make the reservations early so you don't miss out and the hotel won't hold all 40 rooms forever.

Do not wait this year. Book it now and you can cancel up to 24 hours before Oct. 16th. Get it booked and reserved, then if you have to cancel you can, but if you wait again then you may not be staying with the rest of us and at your own peril for rates and possibly a different hotel. They book darn near the whole town in October.

You must tell them you are with the "CT Group and ask to speak with Courtney" for your reference and the rate of $66 a night. We will arrive Thursday morning, Oct. 16th. and head home Oct. 19th. Sunday or Monday morning. Breakfast is free in the mornings. This hotel has not only a continental breakfast, but a full breakfast.
I talked to the people at the Ranch House Grill and they will cater our evening meals again. We will have evening meals together Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Holiday Inn Express PAGE-LAKE POWELLy
Ask for Courtney or Andrea Smith
751 South Navajo Drive, Page, AZ 86040
928-645-9000

We will fly into the Page airport - KPGA.
We are staying with Classic FBO and with our group we should get a 30 cent discount on fuel.
Classic is not the first FBO next to the runway, but the second one behind them.

The Antelope Canyon tour and the Dam tour is open if anyone wants. These are land tours.
You guys are welcome to invite other planes that are not CT's and everyone is welcome. Find some more LSA's.

I will develop GPS coordinates for all our routes and post them so you can enter them in your own GPS. I have a plan to better deal with all our planes for our flights so they are not crowded in the mornings or evenings.

Don't miss this, we always have fun.

p.s. biggrin.gif
I would like everyone coming to shoot me an email so I can put together a roster, make name tags and set up call signs like we did last year. If you attended last year and we had your personal info then just say you are coming. If you did not come last year then I would like the email to include: N#, Names of you and co-pilot, cell phone number, city, state.
This is a big help for me to last year to organize our fly outs since we have so many planes and gives old friends and new friends a way to contact each other if need be.

Thanks,
Roger Lee

Something new has been added. (This was lots of fun last year)
A 1/2 day raft trip on Wed. Oct. 15th from Glen Canyon Dam down to Lee's Ferry.
The trip starts in Page (at 1100 hrs) where we will take a shuttle bus down below the dam. We will board a 20-22 person raft and travel down river for about 1.5 hrs. and get out for drinks and photos. Then back in and on down close to Lee's Ferry. Then we turn around a high speed boat back to the start. There is no white water just a nice trip down through the canyons. The cost for all of this is $87 a person. The phone number for the reservations is 928-645-9175.
Don't be left out, I know of at least 6 people that have already signed up so don't be late to make the boat, sign up now. They have a 48 hr. cancellation policy and you get it all back except a $7 charge. This means you will have to arrive in Page Oct. 15th.
BRING YOUR HAT, SUNGLASSES AND SUNSCREEN.
Here is the link: http://raftthecanyon...day-raft-trips/

What are you waiting for, let's go, I'm already signed up. ;)
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Re: 8th Annual 2014 Page, AZ. Fly-In

Post by roger lee »

If you have never been to this Fly-In you don't know what you are missing. No vendors and mostly couples so make sure you bring the wife. Of course coming with a friend is just as fun. This is like a big family reunion and they won't let you be a wallflower. They all keep coming back, there must be something that brings them back year after year.

Sign up now, the sooner the better to keep our rooms and please don't forget to send Roger Lee confirmation with your personal information.

Something new looks like it may be added. On Friday afternoon we may fly up to Cal-Black airport, slightly NE of Page (about 15-20 min) and have a fun bomb drop and spot landing competition. Cal -Black is a nice runway, it is long asphalt runway and in a very flat area. So now you have something to practice for. For the low wing people that can't drop a bomb out a window vent we can pair you up with a high wing person so no one will miss out.

The Cal-Black airport FBO has volunteered to cater a late lunch. This one will take a little more talking first, but is very doable.

Quit waiting, sign up now! :D
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

It's time to make those reservations.

Why are you waiting. You know you are going to come and have some fun. If you can make the smooth water raft trip with us on the 15th. and make those reservations as well.
We need to fill up those reservations at the hotel and let them know how many will be there.

Please don't forget to send Roger your personal info as requested in the first post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A 1/2 day raft trip on Wed. Oct. 15th from Glen Canyon Dam down to Lee's Ferry

You must refer to this Reservation Number: 70361 and tell them you are with the CT group.

The trip starts in Page (at 1100 hrs) where we will take a shuttle bus down below the dam. We will board a 20-22 person raft and travel down river for about 1.5 hrs. and get out for drinks and photos. Then back in and on down close to Lee's Ferry. Then we turn around a high speed boat back to the start. There is no white water just a nice trip down through the canyons. The cost for all of this is $87 a person. The phone number for the reservations is 928-645-9175.
Don't be left out, I know of at least 6 people that have already signed up so don't be late to make the boat, sign up now. They have a 48 hr. cancellation policy and you get it all back except a $7 charge. This means you will have to arrive in Page Oct. 15th.
BRING YOUR HAT, SUNGLASSES AND SUNSCREEN.
Here is the link: http://raftthecanyon...day-raft-trips/

If you are with our group do not just make an individual reservation. They have had some in the past do this and it makes it very difficult.
You must refer to this Reservation Number: 70361 and tell them you are with the CT group.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something has been added. On Saturday afternoon we will fly up to Cal-Black airport (U96), slightly NE of Page (about 15-20 min) and have a fun bomb drop and spot landing competition. Cal -Black (http://www.airnav.com/airport/U96) is a nice runway, it is long asphalt runway and in a very flat area. So now you have something to practice for. For the low wing people that can't drop a bomb out a window vent we can pair you up with a high wing person so no one will miss out.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

The Page Fly-In attendees list was just updated.
LSA and EAB are all welcome.

WHY ISN'T YOUR NAME ON THE the list?

Come join us. It will be the best trip you ever had. Scenery and friends like none other.

p.s.
Don't forget to send Roger your personal info as it is ask for in the original post.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Two more weeks. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

We have folks coming to the Page, AZ Fly-In this year from all over the country.
For those coming here are some general fly-in rules and some fly out information for all of our flights including some GPS co-ordinates.

I can't seem to post the direct pages here so here is a link with the info. The PDF files are at the bottom of the very first post.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/...ly-in/?p=30370
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

I just checked the hotel roster and compared my attendees list with theirs.
These are people on my list that are not on the hotel's list.
Double check your reservations.

Gary Cordell
Wayne Ferson
Jesse Loy
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

I'm back from Cal Black (U96) and there was nobody there. Apparently Roger and Tim cancelled the flour bombing without telling anyone (ouside of their secret mailing list, perhaps). Oh well, another $700 down the drain... On the way back I had to stop at Farmington for gas. What a hole. Atlantic charged me a $40 "facility fee" and $7 "security fee".
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

We were there in force Saturday at 1230 hrs. We had a great time. Winning Spot landing was right on the line and the closest bomb drop was 2'4". Awards were Saturday night at the Antelope Marina Restaurant.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

zaitcev wrote:Atlantic charged me a $40 "facility fee" and $7 "security fee".
Tell them that next time you'll come armed, and provide your own security. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

zaitcev wrote:I'm back from Cal Black (U96) and there was nobody there. Apparently Roger and Tim cancelled the flour bombing without telling anyone...
Pete,
So sorry we missed you. Some of us were there as early as around Noon. The whole gaggle was there from around 12:45 'til 3:30.
This is so funny (well, sort of) because your post solved a mystery. When we arrived, the guy at Cal Black said, "wow I've never seen any aircraft like that... until earlier today, when I saw my first one". He said a single aircraft dropped in, flown by "A Russian guy". We tried to query him as to who this was, but he didn't know much other than he thought it was a rental. We were wondering who could possibly be there in a CT (or was it the Remos?) and us not know who they were.

There were at least a couple more folks from ABQ, and several others from NM locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_enqzMqsnMg&vq=hd720
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Did he tell you that I was unable to open the gas cap and departed without refueling? Man, that was embarrassing. Carl could deduce it was a rental just from that (although I told him).
designrs

Post by designrs »

drseti wrote:
zaitcev wrote:Atlantic charged me a $40 "facility fee" and $7 "security fee".
Tell them that next time you'll come armed, and provide your own security. :wink:
That's the way to do it!
drseti

Post by drseti »

I wonder if Muriel would let me borrow her shotgun for such an eventuality?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

It's much easier to land at Atzek next time. Remember that usable load is at premium in LSAs and guns are heavy.

Also, the whole thing was precipitated by me forgetting where the key for the fuel cap was. I tried to refuel at U96, but was unable to open the gas cap. I departed on the return leg without refueling, but I imagined an NTSB report where an interview with the lineman figures as evidence of negligence and chose to divert. Still had 13 gallons remaining at landing. After landing I called the owner and he reminded where in the airplane the key was stowed, so I was able to refuel.