On the way to Sebring

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

MovingOn

Re: On the way to Sebring

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Discretion is the greatest part of valor!

Or something like that.

Look for the fastest and koolest couple there if you're at the show tomorrow!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Here's who to look for:

Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Carl,

The PNS area is so unique that there is an Air Safety Foundation online class for it and you get Wings credit. Nothing really earth shattering but definitely some useful information for transiting the area.
dave
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Headed up from the Lake Placid area now.

Be looking for us.

Regardless, RAF at about 2p.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

First off guys.. Sorry for missing the informal meet up at the RAF booth. In the end I did at least get to meet Jack in person.

Well I finally made it back to Colorado from Texas with my plane this afternoon. Yesterday was another day of crazy winds. I made the very early dash this morning from Midlothian TX to the northwest Childress TX. By the time I got to Childress they already had a 15Kt crosswind component with the total wind speed G over 20Kts. I grabbed gas and headed on to Dalhart TX. As I passed Amarillo they were already nearly G30. The smaller airports on the way to Dalhart were also G30. I listened to the ASOS as far out as I could hear it and it was "only" G23 :). I was quite happy with a respectable landing and as I was rolling out a coyote ran out on the runway. I thought it was a small dog but the FBO guy said nope.. Coyote. I was slow enough to be able to brake and miss him. I got a good laugh though as on my check ride that was the simulated reason for my go around. I took a break at Dalhart and hoped the winds would die down. I met a nice fellow pilot there who I think was amazed that a LSA was flying in these conditions. The key was the winds were steady directionally, and right down a long runway to provide options. Anyway when I departed my take off roll was very short and I climbed like a rocket. Last leg back to my home airport was marked by the normal welcome back to Colorado moderate turbs at the border. As I got closer to Colorado Springs it totally smoothed out and the winds on my last landing were 330/5 right down the runway and I greased it. What an awesome way to end a great trip.

I hope to see you guys next year.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »