6th Annual Page, AZ LSA Fly-In

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

6th Annual Page, AZ LSA Fly-In

Post by roger lee »

6th Annual 2012 Page, AZ. Fly-In

This is like a big fun family reunion and not just a Fly-In that's why all the wives come.
Including Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Bullfrog Marina Resort...
Make those reservations now.. More people, more planes, different flight venue. We will fly all our routes in reverse this year to offer a big change in scenery.

The Page, AZ. Fly-In date is October 18-21, 2012

We will fly the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Zion Canyon and breakfast at Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Bullfrog Marina and resort.

I am going to change up all the routes this year to make a scenery change from the past 5 years.

I have blocked off 40 rooms. We got a great rate of $49 same as last year. I hope to have a record number of CT's and LSA aircraft for our Page Fly-In. Just like last year make the reservations early so you don't miss out and the hotel won't hold all 40 rooms forever.

Do not wait this year. Book it now and you can cancel up to 24 hours before Oct. 18th. Get it booked and reserved, then if you have to cancel you can, but if you wait again then you may not be staying with the rest of us and at your own peril for rates and possibly a different hotel. They book darn near the whole town in October.

We have a special rate at the same place we stayed last year.
Tell them you are with the "CT Group" or Roger Lee to cross reference and the rate is $49 a night. We will arrive Thursday morning, Oct. 18th. and head home Oct. 21th. Sunday or Monday morning. Breakfast is free in the mornings.
I talked to the people at the Ranch House Grill and they will cater our evening meals again. We will have evening meals together Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Rose is our contact person.
Best Western View of Lake Powell
716 Rim View Dr.
Page, Az.
928-645-8868
The AZ. Inn has gone completely non-smoking!

We will fly into the Page airport - KPGA.
We are staying with Classic FBO and with our group we should get a 30 cent discount on fuel.
Classic is not the first FBO next to the runway, but the second one behind them.

The Antelope Canyon tour and the Dam tour is open if anyone wants. These are land tours.
You guys are welcome to invite other planes that are not CT's and everyone is welcome. Find some more LSA's.

I will develop GPS coordinates for all our routes and post them so you can enter them in your own GPS. I have a plan to better deal with all our planes for our flights so they are not crowded in the mornings or evenings.

Don't miss this, we always have fun.

p.s.
I would like everyone coming to shoot me an email so I can put together a roster, make name tags and set up call signs like we did last year. If you attended last year and we had your personal info then just say you are coming. If you did not come last year then I would like the email to include: N#, Names of you and co-pilot, cell phone number, city, state.
This is a big help for me to last year to organize our fly outs since we have so many planes and gives old friends and new friends a way to contact each other if need be.
Here is a list that I will keep updated as people sign up for Page, AZ Fly-In. If you know anyone that wants to join us let them know and then me. I have 45 rooms reserved. I will call the hotel late Aug. as there are always a few reserved I don't hear about.

You must tell them you are with the CT Group.

Thanks,
Roger Lee
[email protected]

Something new has been added.
A 1/2 day raft trip on Wed. Oct. 17th from Glen Canyon Dam down to Lee's Ferry.
The trip starts in Page (at 1100 hrs) where we will take a shuttle bus down below the dam. We will board a 20-22 person raft and travel down river for about 1.5 hrs. and get out for drinks and photos. Then back in and on down to Lee's Ferry. We board a bus that takes us back to Page and arrive around 1600-1630 hrs. There is no white water just a nice trip down through the canyons. The cost for all of this is $87 a person. The phone number for the reservations is 928-645-9175.
Don't be left out, I know of at least 6 people that have already signed up so don't be late to make the boat, sign up now. They have a 48 hr. cancellation policy and you get it all back except a $7 charge. This means you will have to arrive in Page Oct. 16th.
BRING YOUR HAT, SUNGLASSES AND SUNSCREEN.
Here is the link: http://raftthecanyon.com/raft-the-river ... aft-trips/

What else is new?

We will fly all our routes in reverse this year to offer a big change in scenery.
We are going to do the Grand Canyon flight in reverse. We will enter the flight corridor on the west end and come back to the east. As we come out of the North east corridor we will land at Marble Canyon strip where we will have breakfast at their restaurant.
Last edited by roger lee on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Page, AZ Fly-In update

Post by roger lee »

UPDATE

Okay, here's the deal on the hotel rooms and dates. The Best Western across the street bought this hotel and rates and rules have changed.

You must tell them you are with the CT Group!!!!

Due to new owners and computer glitches we have 40 rooms (finally). Any rooms not reserved before Sept. 18th will be put back into the general reservation bank. Which means the people who wait until after that to make a reservation may not get one and there is no guarantee that if they have one you will get $49 a night. It may be as much as $108. If you make your reservation before the last 30 days prior to the Oct. 18th date you will get $49 a night.

The next thing to talk about is the river trip on Oct. 17th. I managed to get 10 rooms for the $49 rate. We will arrive on the 16th and take our river raft trip on the 17th. So the $49 rate was extended for those two days for only 10 rooms. Anything past that is a crap shoot for a room and a rate. These two additional days of the 16th -17th are a first come first served deal.

Bottom line for this year is if you procrastinate and wait to the last minute you may not get a room and or the rate may be $108 a night.

Make your reservations now or at least before Sept. 10th for the room and make the raft trip reservation today. I already know of at least 6 rooms that will be gone in a day or two.
It is easy to cancel if you need to up to 24 hrs. before the date, but it may not happen at all if you wait. There has always been about 8 people that wait until the last few weeks to make a reservation, with this new management that may not happen.

Like Larry the cable guy says: GET'er Done!

If you're going shoot me an email with your tail #, names of attendees, city, state and cell number for name tags and other paper work.[/b]
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Roger's link to the info about the River Trip doesn't work, so here's a video about the trip. Some of the folks are doing it on Wed, but you could also work it in on Thu, Fri, or Sat. However, on those days, it may cut into your flying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DLMJOXedao&hd=1
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
roger lee

Colorado raft trip at Page, AZ Fly-In

Post by roger lee »

Hi Tim and all,

I fixed the link for the raft trip in the original post.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
saintlfd

New SP at Page

Post by saintlfd »

Roger, is any of the flying at Page particularly daunting for a newly minted SP?
DAVE
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Depending... you may have some "firsts". Previous years, some of the attendees had their first mountain flying, just getting to Page. It probably wouldn't count as real "mountain flying", but first flying at any significant altitude.
The runway at Page is long and wide... no real problems there or any DA issues. The trips to Bullfrog or Monument Valley are nothing, the runways are not huge, but not a problem for LSA. Bryce usually has DA issues, but the runway is really long = not a problem. Some SPs have elected to not do the Grand Canyon trip, as it took them over the 10K limit. Wasn't that limit changed???
Historically, the weather has been perfect... cool mornings, 75-80 degree days. There is always a very slight chance of storms, but it's not like they'll sneak up on you.
We usually break up into several groups of 4-6 planes and fly in a very loose formation. Nothing fancy, just keep your eye on the person in front of you, and offset a bit so you're not in their wake. Some groups like to fly lower/higher than others. You can do the lake at 500 ft, or 2-3,000 feet AGL.
If a person didn't want to land away from Page, you could always take-off from Page, fly to a location and come back. Most trips are 1 hour or so one way. There are many things to see: the Lake, monument valley, marble canyon, byce, zion, arches, hoodoos, the Canyon, and more.
In some areas, you'll be over pretty rough territory, but others is smooth desert floor.
Many low-time pilots have participated. I flew to Page, with the wife, for my 7th or 8th flight after getting my license.
Last edited by ct4me on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
roger lee

Page, AZ flights for the first timer

Post by roger lee »

Hi Saintlfd,

All the flights are broken into small groups of 4-6 with a leader and each group has its own radio freq. If you can follow someone your set. Flying in unfamiliar territory is safer in the groups or just in case someone had an engine issue. We have never had any issues at this fly in. We will be landing at Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Marble Canyon and Bullfrog marina for breakfast. Transportation is provided. All the landings are on asphalt runways and there are no tricky landings. Monument Valley may be the different one only because it has a slight up hill. Piece of cake. The scenery is unmatched anywhere in the US as we get to fly some of the most visited sights in the US all within a few days. Some people fly a little lower than others and some higher, it's your pick.
This isn't like any fly in you have been to in the US. We had 39 LSA aircraft last year and we take up an entire ramp. There are no vendors and we are like a huge family reunion. Everyone gets along and not one whiney grumpy, grouchy person in the bunch. Everyone gets along very well and they will not let you be a wall flower as they will make you feel like you have been coming every year. Everyone brings their wives and we have lots of laughs. We usually take Saturday afternoon and have a meeting with the pilots about any thing LSA and engines. Tech are on hand.

When the Fly-In date gets closer I will post all the coordinates for the flights we will take.

This may be the best and most fun LSA Fly-In in the US and we keep getting bigger as all the ones from previous years all keep coming back and we just keep adding more.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Only 11 more rooms left - Wait no more

Post by roger lee »

Hurry, Hurry, Hurry. Walk, run, skip or just call !!!

There looks to be only 11 rooms left and we only have 45 more days to secure those rooms before the hotel takes the non reserved rooms back. There may be a room left after this, but it will be at double the price.

p.s.
If you choose to walk, run or skip remember your age and you won't heal well.

p.s.s.
There could be fewer rooms because I have not check personally with the hotel this week and some people may have not let me know they are coming. I have a list of the ones who have contacted me and that is where I got the overall number, but there are always a few sign ups that don't contact me, so it is possible we have fewer than 11 rooms left.

p.s.s.s.
If you haven't sent me your info to add to the attendee list please do so.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
znurtdog

I wish

Post by znurtdog »

Man I wish I could make this, sounds like a blast! Pls point me to videos from previous years? thx and have fun!
roger lee

Giant Family reunion

Post by roger lee »

This isn't like any fly in you have been too. This is like a giant long lost family reunion and everyone gets along and likes the other guy. Did I mention scenery like no other in the US.

I really like CT4ME slide show.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Re: 6th Annual Page, AZ LSA Fly-In

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

Times growing short and so are the rooms. If your going to go please make your reservations soon. Any left over rooms by the middle of Sept. will be taken back by the hotel. We are close to having them all reserved any way, but don't wait.
Not only is this a great big family reunion sylye fly-in, but you can get any and all your LSA and Rotax questions addressed.

There is nothing like this LSA Fly-In any where in the US.
Hope to see you there!

If have you have any questions please give me a call.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

FYI,

Here is the current list of Page attendees I have personal information on and are good to go:

Applegate, Bill
Brame, Mack
Covell, Tom
Carlson, Ted
Carpenter, Brian
Copeland, Greg
Corey, Bob
DeHaven, Richard
DeJong, Ed
Deurloo, Bob
Evenson, Roger
Ferson, Wayne
Fisher, Dave
Greer, Tim
Horn, John
Hull, Dave
Jeffs, Duane
Jeffs, Larry
Johnsen, John-Olav
Johnson, John
Johnson, Dick
Koerner, Mike
Kreienkamp, Ron
Lee, Roger
Moliterno, Steve
McGregor, Jeremy
Meyer, Al
Olson, Darrell
Roberts, Russ
Rotman, Boris
Sigman, Bob
Strachan, Berrie
Swenson, Darryl
Urbach, Walter
Welsch, Philip
Westmoreland, Justin
Zawodny, Jeremy

Please email me your info guys.
Name of pilot, Co-pilot, tail number, city, state, cell phone

If you want to join us time and rooms are about gone. Jump on in have have some fun with us.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

The Page, AZ Fly-In was great fun (again) this year and everyone had a good time. Weather was perfect and people came from the 4 corners of the US. No issues and lots of new scenery. We had 39 aircraft and about 6 cancellations at the last minute. All, but 4-5 were LSA. I'm sure others will post pictures and videos, but here is one from CT4ME. One camera view is with the camera high up on the tail and the other from under the wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Iq_Cr7_q_4#!

Keep an eye on this link and more pictures and videos will pop up.

I'll post next year event starting in Jan. 2013 so people can plan vacations in conjunction with work.

It will be Oct. 17th - 20th. With a river raft trip on the front end, Oct. 16th
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

Everyone who didn't come missed a great trip and Fly-In. We don't have vendors so we go just to have fun with all our friends. We all make new friends every year. It's not like any fly-In you have been to. It's like a giant family reunion.
We did a Colorado river float trip this year which turned out to be quite fun. We all ate at a restaurant that closed and catered just to us. We flew to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Bullfrog resort and Monument Valley for breakfast in the mornings. We flew down Lake Powell fingers 200-400 feet off the water through the canyons. We added another trip. It was to a small town called Escalante. They treated us with open arms and on the red carpet. Unbelievable scenery up the Escalante river.
Weather was terrible like always, 75F for the highs and 55F for the lows and almost no wind. Just terrible.

This was our 6th year and another successful year. We all hope that the rest of you will try to make it next year.

Next years fly-in will be Oct. 17th - 20th.

Be there and see why everyone always come back.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)