5th. Annual 2011 Page, AZ CT / LSA Fly-In

Fly-Ins are excuses for pilots to go somewhere and eat. Airplanes. Food. What else could you ask for? Know of an upcoming fly-in? A great $100 hamburger? Don't keep it a secret. Share it here!

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

5th. Annual 2011 Page, AZ CT / LSA Fly-In

Post by roger lee »

It's time to plan and mark your calendar.
Stay up to date on this Fly-In on the www.ctflier.com forum

5th Annual 2011 Page, AZ. Fly-In
Including Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, St. George, Bullfrog Marina Resort... and more!

Make those reservations now.. More people, more planes, different flight venue, bigger and better than last year!

The Page, AZ. Fly-In date is October 13-16, 2011

We will fly the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Zion Canyon and breakfast at Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Bullfrog Marina and resort. We will also be adding St. George this year for breakfast and adding new routes.

I managed to block off 45 rooms. We got a great rate of $49 same as last year. I hope to have a record number of CT's and LSA aircraft for our Page Fly-In. Just like last year make the reservations early so you don't miss out and the hotel won't hold all 45 rooms forever.

Do not wait this year. Book it now and you can cancel up to 24 hours before Oct. 13th. Get it booked and reserved, then if you have to cancel you can, but if you wait again then you may not be staying with the rest of us and at your own peril for rates and possibly a different hotel. They book darn near the whole town in October.

We have a special rate at the same place we stayed last year.
Tell them you are with the "CT Group" or Roger Lee to cross reference and the rate is $49 a night. We will arrive Thursday morning, Oct. 13th. and head home Oct. 16th. Sunday or Monday morning. Breakfast is free in the mornings.
I talked to the people at the Ranch House Grill and they will cater our evening meals again. We will have evening meals together Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Rose is our contact person.
Best Western Arizona Inn
716 Rim View Dr.
Page, Az.
800-826-2718
928-645-2466
The AZ. Inn has gone completely non-smoking!

We will fly into the Page airport - KPGA.
We are staying with Classic FBO and with our group we should get a 30 cent discount on fuel.
Classic is not the first FBO next to the runway, but the second one behind them.

The Antelope Canyon tour and the Dam tour is open if anyone wants. These are land tours.
You guys are welcome to invite other planes that are not CT's and everyone is welcome. Find some more LSA's.

I will develop GPS coordinates for all our routes and post them so you can enter them in your own GPS. I have a plan to better deal with all our planes for our flights so they are not crowded in the mornings or evenings.

Don't miss this, we always have fun.

p.s.
I would like everyone coming to shoot me an email so I can put together a roster, make name tags and set up call signs like we did last year. If you attended last year and we had your personal info then just say you are coming. If you did not come last year then I would like the email to include: N#, Names of you and co-pilot, cell phone number, city, state.
This is a big help for me to last year to organize our fly outs since we have so many planes and gives old friends and new friends a way to contact each other if need be.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
rfane

Post by rfane »

My reservation is made. Can't wait to go again!!
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

See ya there!

REMOS G3 N192RA
roger lee

deleted

Post by roger lee »

deleted
Last edited by roger lee on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Page, AZ LSA Fly-In, Don't miss out again

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

We have a number of people already reserving rooms. You all real ought to try and come to Page, AZ. This is one really fun Fly-In and a nice bunch of people. Anyone that has ever come to Page for this Fly-In always comes back. There is no place in the country that you can fly the places we go, see the scenery or fly the way we fly at home or at any event. Come join us, you won't be sorry. Ask the guys here that have been and keep coming back, there is nothing like it in the states.

Check www.ctflier.com for more info.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Another big LSA Fly-In in the works

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

This Fly-In is shaping up to be another big LSA Fly-In. I have quite an extensive list already of attendees and wives and lots of new people this year. Rooms are going fast and we have reserved almost 1/2 the hotel as it is. If you are thinking of coming make a reservation now and then send me the info ask in the original post.

Once the wives come out to this event and meet all the other wives and have a great time it will be the wives that make you come back next year like all the others have.

Read the original post for the info and come join us. Anyone is welcome, but we have 98% LSA aircraft. This isn't like other Fly-In's where we stand around a lot. This is definitely an over 40 fun group looking for adventure. You can't be a wall flower with us as we will bring you in and see that you have a good time.

Don't wait until there are no more rooms. In the month of October all of Page, AZ sells out of rooms.

p.s.

In Aug. or Sept. I will post all the GPS coordinates for all our flights so you can enter them in your GPS.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Roger,

I met a pilot and builder of a RV-12 in Showlow Saturday morning. He is based out of Deer Valley. I gave him your and Tim's phone numbers as well as this web site.. Seemed like a great candidate for Page.. I hope he checks in here, if not I will hound him until he does.. First I go to Oshkosh this year and then to Page.. Lucky me!!!!

Brian
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Rooms are almost gone. Call and make your reservation and come fly with us. All are welcome, this huge group is mostly LSA..

http://flightdesignusa.com/2011/04/worl ... #more-1841
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Page, AZ Fly-In attendance update

Post by roger lee »

5th Annual 2011 Page, AZ. Fly-In
Including Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, St. George, Bullfrog Marina Resort... and more!
Make those reservations now.. More people, more planes, different flight venue, bigger and better than last year!

The Page, AZ. Fly-In date is October 13-16, 2011

We will fly the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Zion Canyon and breakfast at Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Bullfrog Marina and resort. We will also be adding St. George this year for breakfast and adding new routes.

I managed to block off 45 rooms. We got a great rate of $49 same as last year. I hope to have a record number of CT's and LSA aircraft for our Page Fly-In. Just like last year make the reservations early so you don't miss out and the hotel won't hold all 45 rooms forever.

Do not wait this year. Book it now and you can cancel up to 24 hours before Oct. 13th. Get it booked and reserved, then if you have to cancel you can, but if you wait again then you may not be staying with the rest of us and at your own peril for rates and possibly a different hotel. They book darn near the whole town in October.

We have a special rate at the same place we stayed last year.
Tell them you are with the "CT Group" or Roger Lee to cross reference and the rate is $49 a night. We will arrive Thursday morning, Oct. 13th. and head home Oct. 16th. Sunday or Monday morning. Breakfast is free in the mornings.
I talked to the people at the Ranch House Grill and they will cater our evening meals again. We will have evening meals together Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Rose is our contact person.
Best Western Arizona Inn
716 Rim View Dr.
Page, Az.
800-826-2718
928-645-2466
The AZ. Inn has gone completely non-smoking!

We will fly into the Page airport - KPGA.
We are staying with Classic FBO and with our group we should get a 30 cent discount on fuel.
Classic is not the first FBO next to the runway, but the second one behind them.

The Antelope Canyon tour and the Dam tour is open if anyone wants. These are land tours.
You guys are welcome to invite other planes that are not CT's and everyone is welcome. Find some more LSA's.

I will develop GPS coordinates for all our routes and post them so you can enter them in your own GPS. I have a plan to better deal with all our planes for our flights so they are not crowded in the mornings or evenings.

Don't miss this, we always have fun.

p.s.
I would like everyone coming to shoot me an email so I can put together a roster, make name tags and set up call signs like we did last year. If you attended last year and we had your personal info then just say you are coming. If you did not come last year then I would like the email to include: N#, Names of you and co-pilot, cell phone number, city, state.
This is a big help for me to last year to organize our fly outs since we have so many planes and gives old friends and new friends a way to contact each other if need be.
Here is a list that I will keep updated as people sign up for Page, AZ Fly-In. I have some names already and if you made reservations and didn't let me know please do. If you know anyone that wants to join us let them know and then me. I have 45 rooms reserved and right now we sit at 38 confirmed reserved. So we have 7 or less rooms left. I will call the hotel late Aug. as there are always a few reserved I don't hear about. Make sure you tell them your with the CT Group.

Thanks,
Roger Lee

Reservations made: (and sent email to Roger) No Reservations:
1. Roger Lee....................................................
2. Bill Applegate..............................................
3. Mack Brame................................................
4. Brian Carpenter............................................
5. Bob Derloo..................................................
6. Larry Minch................................................
7. Wayne Ferson............................................
8. Tim Greer...................................................
9. Jim Hamilton..............................................
10. John Horn...................................................
11. John Johnson.............................................
12. Jeremy McGregor.......................................
13. Dave St Clair..............................................
14. Bruce Sherman..........................................
15. Roger Evenson...........................................
16. Bill McCandless.........................................
17. Dick Johnson.............................................
18. Steve Schroder..........................................
19. Boris Rotman.............................................
20. Ernie Bitten................................................
21. Ed DeJong.................................................
22. Mike Koerner.............................................
23. Joe Tully....................................................
24. Brett Gingery.............................................
25. Robert Lindsay.
26. Philip Welsch
27. Doug Gentzkow
28. Al Meyer
29. Darrell Bice
30. Russ Roberts
31. Larry Clark
32. Mike Evans
33. Don England
34. Bill Bertram
35. John Young
36. Tom Lombardi
37. John Sullivan
38. Ken Knolde
39. Bob Hall
40. Mitch Stone
41. Bob Corey
42. Mitch stone
43. Kurt Kuhlman
44. Larry Hamm

See You There.
HAPPY TRAILS!
Attached thumbnail(s)

Roger Lee
Ryan Airfield (KRYN)
Tucson, AZ.
LSRM-A Specializing in LSA Maintenance
Authorized Rotax Repair Center - Heavy Maint Rated
520-574-1080 Home Try home first
520-349-7056 Cell
Last edited by roger lee on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Are you going to missit?

Post by roger lee »

Only a few rooms left.

This is by far the most fun LSA Fly-In in the country. No vender's, just pure fun and there is no other place in the country that has flying like this and that's all we do is fly, tour, eat and get together. All the wives come so it isn't just about flying, it's just about having fun.

Not a grumpy, grouchy, whiny, complaining or cliquish person in the bunch.

Come join us, time is short and so are the rooms.

Let me know and join the largest group that flies into Page, AZ every year and see why we keep coming back and our numbers keep growing.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
roger lee

Last chance for a room

Post by roger lee »

Hi All,

I think we are down to a single reserved room left. We may even be sold out. If your going better make that call to the AZ. Best Western Inn on the first post. This may be the most fun LSA Fly-In and by far the most scenic in the country and we just keep growing.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

NUMBER 4 FOR ME... Folks you have no idea how much fun you are missing!!!!
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
roger lee

5th Annual Page, AZ Fly-In Routes and Info

Post by roger lee »

There is only 3.5 weeks left before the Fly-In. I think we may be close to sold out for rooms. There may be 1-2 left due to a cancellation. If you waited to make reservations do it now.
Here is the general GPS routes and information. This is not your typical Fly-In and if you haven't been to this you have no idea what you are missing. This is just fun and targets mainly the LSA aircraft and fliers. Pilots are flying their LSA aircraft from all over the country to be there, Why aren't you?

5th Annual Page, AZ Fly-In
Oct. 13-16 2011

Bring your cameras!!

Here are the GPS coordinates for our different area flights. These aren't etched in stone and you don't have to fly these if you don't want to, but they will keep you from getting lost and take you right over the major flight paths we will more or less follow. This year we will break up in groups and then each group will take a different flight each morning. This will keep us from having 40+ aircraft going into the same areas each flight. We will discuss this further at the Thursday evening meal. We have the restaurant all to ourselves again (The Ranch House Grill) and dinners are catered. Breakfast is either the free one at the hotel, out at the local restaurants or during one of your flights at the local airport restaurant (best) as will lunch.

The flights below are round trip in a large circle and they can be shortened by quite a bit if you want to shorten the distance. Just in case bring three tie down ropes for when we are away from Page at other airports. Most have tie downs, but I know Monument Valley has a cable, but you will need your own rope.

General info:

Page, AZ Airport (KPGA) Runway 15-33 Freq. 122.8

FBO: Classic @ 122.85 Kris 928-645-5356

Chat Freq. we can use for our own group and for separation of each flight group while in different areas. These will be assigned each night at dinner for the following day’s group flights.

Grand Canyon Flight
Grand Canyon (see Grand Canyon VFR map) KPGA round trip is 193 miles 1.7 hrs.
Route: KPGA south through Marble Canyon (monitor 120.05) climbing to 10.5K to enter Zuni Corridor @ N36 17.38 / W111 51.04 to exit @ N35 58.33 / W111 53.39. Turn west along south canyon rim climbing to 11.5K to Fossil Corridor. Switch and monitor 127.05. Turn north and enter Fossil Corridor at 11.5K @ N36 16.43 / W112 34.97. Exit Fossil Corridor @ N36 22.87 / W112.18.70 switch back to 120.05. Proceed back to KPGA or tour along the Vermillion Cliff area then back to Page.

Note* You aren’t really that high off the rim as it is approximately 7500’ elevation.

Monument Valley Flight
Monument Valley Airport (UT25) Runway 16-34 You only land on 16 and take off on 34 Freq. 122.9 Round trip approx. 185 miles 2 hrs. There is a restaurant and we will have breakfast there on Friday and Saturday flights. A van will be available to take us up the hill or if you prefer a nice morning walk have at it.

KPGA to approx. N37 01.003 / W110 12.020 to Mexican Hat @ N37 09.016 / W109 51.541, then west to Lake Powell @ N37 17.535 / W 110 23.171 then south to KPGA

This will give you only a general route and/or you can and probably will zig zag around Monument Valley to take in all the sites. Flight altitude is up to you so long as you don’t run into a rock wall. (Only once J)

Bryce & Zion National Park Flight
Bryce Airport (BCE) Freq. 122.8 Runway 03-21 272 miles 2.5 hrs.

KPGA to BCE general area around the canyon sites then southwest to Zion Park general area @ N37 14.847 / W113 05.115. You can head back to KPGA at this point or head into St. George Airport (SGU) Runway 16-34 Freq. 122.8 for breakfast then back to KPGA. We are going to have breakfast at Bryce Canyon Ruby’s Inn on Friday and Saturday.

Lake Powell to Bullfrog Basin Resort Restaurant Flight
Bullfrog is U07, N37.32.44.96 and W110.42.47.51, the elevation is 4167’, Unicom is 122.80.
The runway is 3500’ x 40’ and runways 1 - 19. AWOS at U96 (9nm se) 134.37
Follow Lake Powell up the channel northeast bound and head into the Bullfrog Basin Resort restaurant for breakfast or lunch. The resort will come out the very short distance to pick you up. You can fly very low or high and it’s up to you. I like low through the channel. There are some altitude, i.e. even and odds, they suggest you fly to stay with the flow with possible other traffic. I will have that info before we get to the Fly-In and have our pilot briefings.
“Rainbow Bridge” scenic sight GPS coordinates N37 04.37.39 / W110 57.53.06

Optional St. George breakfast flight
ID is KDXZ, elevation 2884’ Unicom 122.80, AWOS 135.07, Runways 1 – 19. Courtesy car available to town.

The Antelope Canyon ground jeep tour will be available again and the tour of the dam. If you haven’t been then you should go.

Dinner Thursday night at the Ranch House grill at 1700 hrs. We will have a little social hour before the meal (eat at 1800 hrs). This is only 2 blocks away up the street from the hotel. Dinner is there all three nights as it is a little hard to find a table for 80 at most restaurants. The restaurant is closed and only open to us. It is all inclusive, drinks, salad, two entree meal plus sides and desert. Seconds are good, too. Bring your own alcohol if you want wine or beer. All other drinks they supply. This is when we will decide on our daily flights and times out.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Roger, that looks like lots of fun, and I really wish I could go. My only concern for the Sport Pilots in the group is that the listed altitudes for the Grand Canyon flight are all above the 10,000 ft SP limit. Are those altitudes binding, or can the route be flown safely and legally at 10,000 or below?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Roger. What is the "Grand Canyon VFR map"? Is it a sectional or a special chart? Where do I get one?

Ernie