Partnership near Boston, MA?

Looking for a partner? No, we're not talking about dating. Partnerships are another way to bring down the cost of flying. Use this forum to find like-minded folks in your neighborhood.

Moderator: drseti

ASFlyer

Partnership near Boston, MA?

Post by ASFlyer »

Last edited by ASFlyer on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Re: Partnership near Boston, MA?

Post by drseti »

At 100 hours a year, you're right at the break-even point between renting and owning (assuming a single owner). At four owners, you'll reduce fixed (but not variable) costs. Consider that, if all the partners fly the same amount, you'll be doing carb inspections twice a year, gearbox inspections every year and a half, and hitting TBO in five years. It may be hard to justify that amount of maintenance downtime. If you really plan for each partner to fly 100 hours annually, I would think the sweet spot would be just one co-owner.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I've been in a couple partnerships and they worked great. More than one co-owner and I would rather rent.
Retired from flying.
ASFlyer

Post by ASFlyer »

Last edited by ASFlyer on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If I'm reading you correctly, AS, you say you're looking for three partners who each fly 10 hours a year, to help subsidize your planned 100 hours of annual flying. Not meaning any disrespect, but I think that's going to be a hard sell. Nevertheless, if you can find compatible partners, more power to you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I would not want to be partners with someone who only flys 10 hours a year. They are probably not safe, IMHO. I've always figured that unless your flying budget is $1,000 per month or more, you are better off renting. I think two people spending $1,000 per month each could afford a pretty nice LSA.
Retired from flying.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I guess he didn't like getting sound advice. I know I have been prone in the past to get caught up in grand ideas, but I usually took the advice I was given under consideration (not always though; I do have an ex wife that proves I can sometimes ignore everyone's warnings, even my own).
- Bruce