Partnership maintenance costs

Looking for a partner? No, we're not talking about dating. Partnerships are another way to bring down the cost of flying. Use this forum to find like-minded folks in your neighborhood.

Moderator: drseti

Mike LaVerdure

Partnership maintenance costs

Post by Mike LaVerdure »

I own a Eurofox and have 2 other pilots wanting to form a partnership. We believe that there should be a "fund" created for maintenance. Maintenance to me is everything except insurance, hangar and annual as those are a set cost and would be divided by the three of us. Who flies the plane the most should pay the most for maintenance. Do you pilots out there in a partnership have an "amount" per hour to fund maintenance? My own research to cover fuel, basic maintenance and an engine fund comes out to about $35 - $40 per hour. The plane has 460 hours equipped with a Rotax 912. Your feedback would be appreciated.
MrMorden

Re: Partnership maintenance costs

Post by MrMorden »

Mike LaVerdure wrote:I own a Eurofox and have 2 other pilots wanting to form a partnership. We believe that there should be a "fund" created for maintenance. Maintenance to me is everything except insurance, hangar and annual as those are a set cost and would be divided by the three of us. Who flies the plane the most should pay the most for maintenance. Do you pilots out there in a partnership have an "amount" per hour to fund maintenance? My own research to cover fuel, basic maintenance and an engine fund comes out to about $35 - $40 per hour. The plane has 460 hours equipped with a Rotax 912. Your feedback would be appreciated.
I'd guess throwing $10 per hour in a maintenance fund would cover you pretty well. That way the guys that do the most flying pay the most, and that comes to $1000 per 100hr, which should easily cover your annuals and routine maintenance. If the plane gets 200hr/yr on it, that leaves you another $1000 to set aside for unexpected maintenance items.

A lot depends on how often and how it will be flown. You might have to go to $15/hr if you really want to easily cover things like engine replacement down the road. Of course if the engine eats itself at 200hr you are screwed just like most other owners. :D
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »