Flight Review in a single-seat aircraft

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Flight Review in a single-seat aircraft

Post by drseti »

This topic has been raised in other threads. It turns out I may have misspoken (or maybe misinterpreted the FARs). Here's the issue in summary:

There used to be a commonly accepted procedure in place for satisfying a Flight Review (previously called a BFR) in a single-seat aircraft. This involved the supervising instructor watching the pilot fly, talking to him or her on the radio, and the pilot demonstrating requested maneuvers. At the time, the BFR requirement was open-ended, not specifying any minimum flight time, or ground training time, or particular maneuvers. This was all left to the discretion of the CFI.

A few years ago, the FAA changed the Flight Review rules. They deleted the term "biennial" (probably because some folks couldn't distinguish between twice a year and once every two years), replacing it with the language "flight review within the previous 24 calendar months". They also did away with CFI discretion, to the extent that a flight review now must include a minimum of one hour of ground training, and one hour of flight training.

Here's where the single-seat flight review came under scrutiny. AOPA (and others) interpreted the one hour of flight training as requiring dual controls -- impossible, of course, in a single seat airplane. In a previous post, I cited two relevant FARs, 61.56(a) which calls for "a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour of ground training," and 91.109(a), that says "no person may operate a civil aircraft... that is being used for flight instruction unless that aircraft has fully functioning dual controls." My conclusion was that single-seat flight reviews were out.

I'm now ready to retract that interpretation. Bear in mind that I'm not an attorney, but this is my layman's interpretation: FAR 61.56(a) requires "flight training." FAR 91.109(a) requires dual controls for "flight instruction." Instruction and training are not the same thing! Furthermore, neither term is explicitly defined in FAR 1.1, General Definitions.

To those of you who are about to request a Letter of Interpretation from FAA Legal, I would caution that such a request can easily backfire on you. It's sometimes better to leave things ambiguous than to request a clarification that we're not going to like. But that's fodder for a completely different thread.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Re: Flight Review in a single-seat aircraft

Post by Hambone »

Hi Paul

What's the latest interpretation of the single-seat flight review ruling? I'm driving down to Phoenix to ferry my Baby Ace here to California. I need a review. Can I do it single-seat?

Thanks!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hambone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:55 pm Can I do it single-seat?
Unfortunately not, Ham. The current FAR says a flight review requires (at a minimum) one hour of ground instruction, and one hour of flight instruction. The FAR defining flight instruction says it must be done in an aircraft with dual controls. Since a single-seater has only one set of flight controls, it's excluded. Sorry.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks, Paul. Fortunately, the guy repairing the Baby Ace is a CFI and has a Champ.

Will be good to get a proper refresher after not flying for almost 2 years.