Do E-LSA's require annual inspections?

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Do E-LSA's require annual inspections?

Post by FastEddieB »

I always assumed they did, but I just came across this (emphasis mine):

Sec. 91.409 - Inspections.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft unless, within the preceding 12 calendar months, it has had --

(1) An annual inspection in accordance with part 43 of this chapter and has been approved for return to service by a person authorized by §43.7 of this chapter; or

(2) An inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter.

No inspection performed under paragraph (b) of this section may be substituted for any inspection required by this paragraph unless it is performed by a person authorized to perform annual inspections and is entered as an "annual" inspection in the required maintenance records.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire, and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can be done. The excess time used to reach a place where the inspection can be done must be included in computing the next 100 hours of time in service.

(c) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section do not apply to --

(1) An aircraft that carries a special flight permit, a current experimental certificate, or a provisional airworthiness certificate...

I know there are rules changes coming, but for now, does an E-LSA count as an aircraft with "a current experimental certificate"?

Of course, an annual inspection is a good idea, anyway, but just wondering. It could be important if one ran just a little over a year between inspections.
roger lee

Inspections

Post by roger lee »

Hi Eddie,

As you read some of the FAR's make sure you separate out items for "certified" aircraft and sometimes even experimental or Amateur built. You have a "special" airworthy certificate. Look on your new cert the DAR gave you. To keep your cert you will need an Annual Condition Inspection. I'm not sure, but take a read through the Phase 2 operations and see if it states anything in them, I don't remember. FAA was supposed to have come out with the new rules by now, I wonder what's holding the release up. I was told it was a done deal and supposed to be out by Dec. 13th or so.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Look on your new cert the DAR gave you. To keep your cert you will need an Annual Condition Inspection.
Yep! Right there, item #23.

I knew there had to be a catch (Catch 23!) :lol:

Thanks!