Continuing training / different make-model

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

spaulus

Continuing training / different make-model

Post by spaulus »

My question is,
As an example;
I begin LSA pilot training in a Cub.
I have accumulated 10 hours dual. 2 hours solo.
The airplane is no longer available, the instructor has
moved away .
Can I continue training in a Remos LSA .
With only 5 hours dual left to satisfy the FAR,
and 3 hours solo ?
Or, do I have to start all over again, at 0 hours,
in the Remos?

As in " same make and model", etc......
Thank you
S.P.

---------------
Merlinspop

Re: Continuing training / different make-model

Post by Merlinspop »

Your answer is somewhere in between.

First, I have to point out that you don't train to a number of hours. You train to proficiency. However many hours that takes is how many hours that takes. I know it's difficult to think of it that way when the Hobbs is hard wired to your credit card, but it really is the truth and your training will progress better if you're not watching the meter.

All that aside... all the hours you have in the Cub still count. And all the hours you get in the Remos will add to that. They are different airplanes and there will be an amount of time you will have to take to go back over things in the Remos that you already covered in the Cub. This really is no different than transition training in any new (to you) aircraft that you would do after you have your license. Look at it that way instead of being backward steps on the path to your certificate.

Good luck and happy flying!
- Bruce
TimTaylor

Re: Continuing training / different make-model

Post by TimTaylor »

You do not start over. All your previous time counts. It will just take a little more time than otherwise to learn a new airplane.
Retired from flying.