Rotax 912ULS or Jabiru 3300

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Bender

Rotax 912ULS or Jabiru 3300

Post by Bender »

I see that the CZAW Sport Cruiser has the option of the Rotax or the Jabiru engine. Does anyone know the pros and cons of these engines?

Thanks,

Jeff
Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

the jabiru is harder to keep cool
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Jabiru requires Avgas 100LL and the Rotax can use Premium auto fuel.

Rotax takes less time to complete 100 hour inspections.
Paul Hamilton

Rotax 912 mystery

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Check out the video trailer on the 912 half way down the page to provide some background on the 912

http://www.ap-store.com/asaf2f912.html

:?
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
pequeajim

Post by pequeajim »

CharlieTango wrote:the jabiru is harder to keep cool
Actually the Jabiru is no harder to keep cool than a Lycoming, or any other air cooled engine. It also can use auto fuel just like the Rotax and is much easier to service due to less parts.
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Jabiru needs a head overhaul @ 1000hr and TBO 2000hr. 912ULS just upped their TBO to 2000hr.
drseti

Post by drseti »

bitten192 wrote:912ULS just upped their TBO to 2000hr.
True, but read the Rotax service bulletin carefully. The very newest 912s (by s/n) are automatically upgraded to 2000 hr TBO. The slightly older ones (including mine; the SB lists which s/n's) require that one screw and one spring be changed. (The parts list for under $40). The oldest ones require replacement of some crankcase parts, so I don't know how practical (or expensive) the mod will be for those.

In any case, as I read it, to comply with the SB, one must overhaul the gearbox at 1000 hrs.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rfane

Post by rfane »

drseti wrote:In any case, as I read it, to comply with the SB, one must overhaul the gearbox at 1000 hrs.
This is a change in our favor as well. The gearbox overhaul had been due at 800 hours previously.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

There is a huge philosophical difference in these two engines. Don't know if it matters to you or not..

The Jab is a 6 cyl. and runs smooth as silk and is relatively quiet. It's direct drive and air cooled so it's as dirt simple as a Conti or Lync. It's a 125 HP so its about 30 more than the Rotax, and this is a LOT.

The Rotax is a 4 cyl and there is no way anybody could call it smooth, even though cruise RPM is around 5000 to 5200. It's water cooled, which adds complexity, but avoids issues like shock cooling that you can have in air cooled engines.

Historically the Jab has had cooling issues, but from what i've been reading, the newer installation have that sorted out. The Rotax has had issues with the gear box, but again, these have been addressed and newer installations seem to be rock solid.

I fly behind a 912ULS but have only been a passenger behind a Jab. The Rotax has an excellent service record and there are starting to be shops that can work on them. This might be more of issue with a Jab. The deciding factor for you may be the availability of a mechanic.

Personally, I love the smooth running and quiet Jab, but if I were putting my money down, don't know what I'd do.

Ron
drseti

Post by drseti »

rsteele wrote:I fly behind a 912ULS but have only been a passenger behind a Jab.
I've flown them both, Ron, and I generally agree with your comments about smoothness, simplicity, and philosophy. However, I chose to purchase a Rotax-powered S-LSA for one reason not previously mentioned: ubiquity. The Rotax powers about 80% of the S-LSA fleet. This means parts and mechanics are more abundantly available than is the case for the Jabiru.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FLA-CFI

Post by FLA-CFI »

rsteele wrote: The Rotax is a 4 cyl and there is no way anybody could call it smooth, even though cruise RPM is around 5000 to 5200.
Have you mechanic properly balance the carbs...you'd be surprised how smooth you can get that engine to run when each side is producing the same amount of power.
Adam

CFI-SP, Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance, Rotax Cert.
Orlando, FL
rfane

Post by rfane »

FLA-CFI wrote:
rsteele wrote: The Rotax is a 4 cyl and there is no way anybody could call it smooth, even though cruise RPM is around 5000 to 5200.
Have you mechanic properly balance the carbs...you'd be surprised how smooth you can get that engine to run when each side is producing the same amount of power.
Very true.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw