Reinstalling an ELT

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Reinstalling an ELT

Post by JJ Campbell »

ACK just returned my E-04 ELT after replacing one of the circuit boards. As the Owner/Operator can I legally reinstall it and make the logbook entry?
Attachments
IMG_3515.jpg
IMG_3515.jpg (227.86 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
3Dreaming

Re: Reinstalling an ELT

Post by 3Dreaming »

ELSA, yes. SLSA, maybe, CFR 43 appendix A does not give the privilege, so look to your maintenance manual. If the ELT task in the checklist say they can be done by the owner/pilot, then yes. If it says a minimum of a LSRM, then no. I just checked the CTLS MM, and it calls for a LSRM.

If you have a mechanic that you work with I would check with them. You could probably install, and do the self test, take pictures and video, then have them sign it off.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

3Dreaming wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:55 pm ELSA, yes. SLSA, maybe, CFR 43 appendix A does not give the privilege, so look to your maintenance manual. If the ELT task in the checklist say they can be done by the owner/pilot, then yes. If it says a minimum of a LSRM, then no. I just checked the CTLS MM, and it calls for a LSRM.

If you have a mechanic that you work with I would check with them. You could probably install, and do the self test, take pictures and video, then have them sign it off.
Thank you. It is an SLSA. After following the trail of referrals, I wound up at the manufacturer's manual. Which stated:
THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT FROM FAA AC 91-44A PARAGRAPH 8.a WHICH
DEFINES WHEN ELT BATTERY REPLACEMENT MAY BE DONE UNDER 14 CFR PART
43.3(h) AS PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.
“…The replacement can be done by the pilot if the preventive maintenance limitations of part 43.3(h) of
the FAR, are complied with. For example, a portable type ELT that is readily accessible and can be
removed and reinstalled in the aircraft by a simple operation should be considered preventive
maintenance. Fixed type ELT installations are often permanently mounted in a remote area of the
aircraft near flight control cables, vital aircraft components, and critical attachments to the aircraft
structure. Installations of this nature require an external antenna and often a remote on/off transmitter
control switch that is usually located near the pilots flight position. This type of installation is complex
and battery replacement should be accomplished by a certified mechanic or certified repair station…”
My ELT is permanently installed but it is obviously easy to get to and is not near any cables or control surfaces. Does the "often permanently mounted..." leave enough discretion for me to do the reinstall myself? I'm confident that it is indeed simple, and my work will be checked this Summer during my annual.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Put it in, make the entry, and use the documentation you just posted if anyone questions it.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

3Dreaming wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 am Put it in, make the entry, and use the documentation you just posted if anyone questions it.
Sounds like a good idea. The more I thought about it and reflecting on the fact that the FAA lawyers go over everything, the more convince I became that often is not all and should is not shall.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

For my S4 I was told that every task that is not marked heavy maintenance can be done by owner as long as he has received plane specific training ( which in my case was reading the manual )

Looking at the manual … it lists owner almost for every section ( O ) …
FAE8C011-0199-4308-B607-F64F16AACCEC.jpeg
FAE8C011-0199-4308-B607-F64F16AACCEC.jpeg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 5339 times
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois