Hard starting Rotax 912 ULS

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

rcpilot

Re: Hard starting Rotax 912 ULS

Post by rcpilot »

So after it working/not working back and forth for months we finally came to the conclusion that is was the sprag clutch. I decided to have the local flight school do the work being a)they had the tools and b)had just done it on one of their planes. Unfortunately, they have some staffing issues and a couple months went by and they were not able to do it. So they offered to loan the tools to my A&P and I and we did the job ourselves. A bit of a PITA but we were able to replace it and all seemed good. I did 3+ hours of local flying with no issues. Of course last week I go to fly to NJ and lose my electrical system, which at the moment, does not appear related to the work we did. I do have to say the engine starts way better than ever with the new clutch.