LSA Maintainer rating

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

iAlex

LSA Maintainer rating

Post by iAlex »

I've been toying with the idea of acquiring a Light Sport Maintainer rating (LSRM). Are there any particular requirements to maintaining this rating once it's obtained? I know the traditional A&P rating requires a certain amount of continuing work to keep the rating active and I'm unsure if LSRM is the same.

Why would I want the rating? We'll there is no real reason to get it other than I think it would be interesting and a fun feather in the hat that could come in useful at some point in the future.
drseti

Re: LSA Maintainer rating

Post by drseti »

The LSRM rating, once earned, is yours forever - no FAA currency requirements (actually, this is true of the A&P rating as well. Only the IA, DAR, DER, DPE, and CFI certificates require renewal every two years, with training and currency requirements).

That said, continuing education is always a good idea, and some manufacturers require it if you care to be factory authorized for their products. For example, I choose to specialize in Rotax engines, and I have to go through various renewal courses to remain an authorized Rotax Independent Repair Center or approved repairman.

If you do want to receive optional LSRM training to keep yourself sharp, you can always do add-on category and class ratings. I started out as an LSRM Airplane, and then over a period of a dozen years added separate ratings for Glider, Powered Parachute, and Weight Shift Control. There is no LSRM Gyroplane course yet, but when one is introduced, I'll take it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 am The LSRM rating, once earned, is yours forever - no FAA currency requirements (actually, this is true of the A&P rating as well. Only the IA, DAR, DER, DPE, and CFI certificates require renewal every two years, with training and currency requirements).
Paul, you might want to take a look at CFR 65.83. I didn't find any such language for a light sport repairman.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Semantics, Tom. CFR 65.83 refers to mechanics. An LSRM is a repairman. (But I'll ask the Carpenters for an interpretation, just to be sure.)

PS: in support of my interpretation, § 65.81 refers specifically (and separately) to certificated mechanics and certificated repairmen. § 65.83 does not mention the latter. However, I was mistaken with regards to A&P mechanics - § 65.83 does apply to them.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:49 am Semantics, Tom. CFR 65.83 refers to mechanics. An LSRM is a repairman. (But I'll ask the Carpenters for an interpretation, just to be sure.)

PS: in support of my interpretation, § 65.81 refers specifically (and separately) to certificated mechanics and certificated repairmen. § 65.83 does not mention the latter. However, I was mistaken with regards to A&P mechanics - § 65.83 does apply to them.
No semantics, I was simply pointing out that an A&P does have currency requirements. I also stated that I didn't find the same requirements for a LSRM.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Points well taken, Tom.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US