Engine oil substitute

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

arizonarotors

Engine oil substitute

Post by arizonarotors »

My distributor in Buckeye AZ doesn't have Aeroshell Sport 4 in stock and is having trouble finding it right now.
I know it's been discussed, ad infinitum, but what is a good substitute? I use 100LL fuel.
Jim
3Dreaming

Re: Engine oil substitute

Post by 3Dreaming »

If you can find some Pennzoil 10w40 non synthetic motorcycle oil, it would be a good substitute. When I first got involved back in 2007 that is what we used, before switching to Mobil 1 Racing 4T, and finally Aeroshell Sport plus 4.
arizonarotors

Post by arizonarotors »

Thank you. I always feel bad asking these types of questions because I know they've been asked before......often.
Right now my distributor, Aircraft Spruce, Chief, and others are out of stock re: Sport plus 4
arizonarotors

Post by arizonarotors »

Well, Calvert oil in Buckeye, Aircraft Spruce, Chief, and L.E.A.F. have all backordered AeroShell Sport Plus 4. they all said 4 to 8 weeks before it comes in.

SkyGeek said they had it in stock so I ordered a case. Hopefully they really had it.
RV12Heal

Post by RV12Heal »

I've always found good prices and fast service from: airplaneoil.com
I haven't bought any AS Sport Plus 4 from them in a year so I don't know if they currently have any in stock.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

RV12Heal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 am I've always found good prices and fast service from: airplaneoil.com
I haven't bought any AS Sport Plus 4 from them in a year so I don't know if they currently have any in stock.
They are out of stock. This has been ongoing for about a month now. I suspect when someone posted that so and so was out everybody ordered some, and now all are out. Kind of like toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic. Now all of these private owners have a 3-6 year supply of oil, and those of us who are working on airplanes for customers are in a pinch because of the shortage. I think I have enough to just squeak by until it is back in stock, but it is going to be close.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Don’t blame me :D
I only got 3 liters for one oil change ( mid spring ) to get me thru till my annual in October… but I did order it as soon as I read there was a shortage, pretty much as you indicated…and still managed to get 3 bottles from Leading edge before they ran out :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

It appears that Penzoil no longer makes 10W-40 non-synthetic motorcycle oil (I used to use that in Rotax engines before AS Sport+4 came out). They do have 20W-50, but in my climate that's too viscous for this time of year.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
arizonarotors

Post by arizonarotors »

Well, SkyGeek says they have shipped my case of Sport plus 4. Pretty spendy, but at least I'll get it. The web site shows about 50 cases in stock.
Jim
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

arizonarotors wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:09 am Well, SkyGeek says they have shipped my case of Sport plus 4. Pretty spendy, but at least I'll get it. The web site shows about 50 cases in stock.
Jim
They are showing it a few dollars cheaper than what Aircraft Spruce shows on their website, but they may get you with shipping. I have places I can buy oil cheaper than Aircraft Spruce, but I often add it to orders to get over the free shipping threshold. Even then the cost of the oil with free shipping may be slightly more, but it is offset with the shipping saved on the other items. I get my best deal when I order a pallet of oil in the neighborhood of 40-45 cases, but sometimes it is hard to swing a $3000 oil order.
JJay

Post by JJay »

I recently did my 5 year rubber replacement and was able to order enough with a couple individual liter orders on Amazon. I think you can still find it on Amazon, but prices fluctuate wildly. Cases are still available on Sky Geeks.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Did anyone try Lockwood?
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Yes, I just received 2 liters from Lockwood
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I just got shipping confirmation for my oil order from Aircraft Spruce.