GRS parachute repack

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

GRS parachute repack

Post by Warmi »

Just got my GRS parachute repacked ( new rocket etc ) on my Sting S4 at SportAir in North Little Rock.
Total cost was $7405 - pretty much an arm and a leg but they are the only game in town so if you want to have a legal chute for another 9 years , it is what it is.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
MrMorden

Re: GRS parachute repack

Post by MrMorden »

I had to do the repack + rocket replacement on my BRS a while back. It was around $4k and I had to do all the work of removing and installing, plus refueling the rocket. It was not hard but it is critical work if you want the chute to work... ;)

Parachutes are great safety equipment, but they're not cheap. If your airplane is ELSA you could always defer the maintenance a year or two and trust that the intervals are very conservative. Just to time it with my annual I deferred mine about six months. At least that way you are getting a little more time value to the big expense, but you have to decide your risk tolerance on a technically out-of-date safety system.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Actually on Stings I can just placard it as INOP and don’t worry about repacking it - it is officially allowed by the factory. In fact, a few years back a Sting in Florida pulled on an out of date ( by 3 years I think ) chute and it worked like a charm …
But like you said, chutes are great safety equipment and frankly since I bought a plane with it in the first place, as long as I can afford it, I will keep it up to date.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

https://www.aviationsafetyresources.com/ did my Magnum repack for under 1k in less than a month. contact Mark McElhaney

141 Hendren Way
Nicholasville, KY 40356

[email protected]

cell: 719.331.1785
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A