Rotax 912 filled with green coolant

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Sam

Rotax 912 filled with green coolant

Post by Sam »

So my new to me plane (Evektor Sportstar) has green coolant in the system. From what I was told it was previously drained and filled with green automotive antifreeze.
drseti

Re: Rotax 912 filled with green coolant

Post by drseti »

It's possible that you have BASF coolant in there (though if I recall correctly, that should be blue, not green). BASF is a German product, readily available in Europe, but hard to find in the US. I discussed it in my webinar "Care and Feeding of the Rotax 912" a number of years ago. Rotax does allow it, but dissimilar types of coolant should never be mixed. (Or you could be right, and some knucklehead might have put in unapproved auto antifreeze.) If not sure which, I would get rid of it. Flush it out and replace it with the recommended 50/50 dilution of Dexcool and distilled water.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
malexander

Post by malexander »

Sam wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:38 pm So my new to me plane (Evektor Sportstar) has green coolant in the system. From what I was told it was previously drained and filled with green automotive antifreeze.

If unsure, I'd for SURE change it. Call it CHEAP insurance.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

A general rule of thumb is green coolant is typically for older automobiles with metallic components and the orange coolant is for the newer system made from aluminum. There are a few exceptions but as already stated if you are unsure get it out of your Rotax and use the Prestone DEX-Cool Pre Mix. It's already premixed 50/50 for you, no worries about getting distilled water and mixing it. Walmart, $13, done.

Is there a logbook entry fore the coolant change? Did they list what coolant they used? A good, thorough log entry would have this info. :mrgreen:
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

I have a 2018 912is. I buy my coolant from a BMW motorcycle dealer (blue stuff). 50/50 mix.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The "blue stuff" is probably BASF, in which case it is Rotax approved. If your source dries up, you should probably go over to DexCool 50/50.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US