Maintenance Costs

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

JimParker256

Re: Maintenance Costs

Post by JimParker256 »

3Dreaming wrote:Shawn and Jim,

The only problem as the OP stated in his first post, is he is tied down outside with no place to do his own work.
I understood that, but changing plugs, and even changing oil, can be done on the ramp. Heck, we did it in the middle of the desert while I was in the Army... And I'd sure as heck do it out on the tie-down, rather than paying nearly $300 for an oil/filter and spark plug change. It's not that I don't think the price is fair and reasonable (you are, after all, taking time away from other work your A&P could be doing), but it's so easy that it's just not worth tying up his resources.

Besides, I'd bet the OP knows someone (or at least someone who knows someone) who has a hangar they might let him borrow for a day or so. Check with your local EAA chapter, if all else fails.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

JimParker256 wrote:

The only problem as the OP stated in his first post, is he is tied down outside with no place to do his own work.
I understood that, but changing plugs, and even changing oil, can be done on the ramp. Heck, we did it in the middle of the desert while I was in the Army... And I'd sure as heck do it out on the tie-down, rather than paying nearly $300 for an oil/filter and spark plug change. It's not that I don't think the price is fair and reasonable (you are, after all, taking time away from other work your A&P could be doing), but it's so easy that it's just not worth tying up his resources.

Besides, I'd bet the OP knows someone (or at least someone who knows someone) who has a hangar they might let him borrow for a day or so. Check with your local EAA chapter, if all else fails.
About the same timeframe as when he posted I saw a picture of a fellow who had just changed a starter adapter on a 421 on the ramp. He had ice around the corner of his eyes and ice in his mustache. Unless the temperature is 65-85 and little wind I wouldn't want to do it on the ramp, and some places even if it is in a unheated hangar it would be miserable.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

3Dreaming wrote:About the same timeframe as when he posted I saw a picture of a fellow who had just changed a starter adapter on a 421 on the ramp. He had ice around the corner of his eyes and ice in his mustache. Unless the temperature is 65-85 and little wind I wouldn't want to do it on the ramp, and some places even if it is in a unheated hangar it would be miserable.
Yeah... Probably not a great idea to do it today, when it's 10ºF and feels like -3ºF with the wind chill effect...

Days like today, it just might be worth the $$$ to have the shop do it, at least if you really NEED to fly the plane before it warms up a bit.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

JimParker256 wrote:

I also agree, all of us knows another pilot at our airport and they may have a hangar. Even if your not inside the hangar at least you could pull your plane to the front of the hangar and work on it there and I'll bet that person has some tools. Since I'm in Florida the "must have" here is an EZ-UP for shade. I've seen a few guys using them here. Of course geography and mother nature will play some part in when you do this.

And Jim mentioned the local EAA Chapter. The local chapter here in Clearwater has a large hangar stuffed full of tools and resources for any member to use. For $40 a year it's a steal to have all this at your fingertips. There's probably a half of dozen old guys standing around at any given time on Tuesdays or Thursdays looking for something to do. :mrgreen:

Not having a hangar is not the end of the world or cause to pay $330 for oil and plugs on a Rotax. Just my 2¢.....
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I have a friend in Florida for the month of February. He sent me a picture of the temperature forecast showing 82° for the highs over the next few days. Here today it is 8°here right now, and that is not Celsius. The wind is 10G19. It has not been above freezing for the at least the past week, and will be another before we might hit the freezing mark. We are supposed to get between 6 and 12 inches of snow today and tonight. Working on the ramp would be next to impossible, and I would not even consider working in one of the private hangars right now. They are unheated and not sealed from the wind very well, and often feel colder inside than it is outside except during the summer. Fortunately I have a nice heated shop to work in. That is just an other added expense that goes towards the shop rate.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:Fortunately I have a nice heated shop to work in.
I envy you, Tom. For the past two weeks, I've been trying to complete a condition inspection and 5 year Rotax rubber in an unheated t-hangar. Even in long-johns and a flight jacket, I can only work for an hour or so at a time before I have to go into my office to warm up. I can't begin to imagine standing on the ramp in a foot of snow, working on an aircraft.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Fortunately I have a nice heated shop to work in.
I envy you, Tom. For the past two weeks, I've been trying to complete a condition inspection and 5 year Rotax rubber in an unheated t-hangar. Even in long-johns and a flight jacket, I can only work for an hour or so at a time before I have to go into my office to warm up. I can't begin to imagine standing on the ramp in a foot of snow, working on an aircraft.
We are going through a major renovation on the airport hangar office. The hangar is mostly done except painting the floor, and 6 new thermal pane windows that will help with the heat. The new roof and ceiling combined have an R value of over 70. I can keep it upper 60's with one overhead infrared heater, we have 4. Before the work it would have taken two heaters on a day like today. Before they swapped out the sliding doors for a bi-fold maybe 10 years ago, on a day like today you couldn't keep it warm with all 4 running.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:We are going through a major renovation on the airport hangar office.
Nice!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:We are going through a major renovation on the airport hangar office.
Nice!
It is forcing me to do a major clean up and sort through everything. I have been here 25 years, and there is plenty of junk that pre dates me. Unfortunately I haven't found any real treasures yet.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Keep looking, Tom. You're sure to find some LORAN databases.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

ShawnM wrote:
JimParker256 wrote: I also agree, all of us knows another pilot at our airport and they may have a hangar. Even if your not inside the hangar at least you could pull your plane to the front of the hangar and work on it there and I'll bet that person has some tools.
When I had my Cirrus based at HWO in Hollywood, FL, I offered my help to guide other Cirrus owners through basic maintenance tasks, usually in front of my hangar. The manager of the HBO put an end to that. Of course, he was a d*ck in many other ways as well, but at least be aware that some FBO operators or airport managers might get in the way of such plans.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Keep looking, Tom. You're sure to find some LORAN databases.
There is an old pile of radios on the shelf. I do have one item I am hoping to find, but I fear it might have grown legs.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I've held on to my old Narco Superhomer since the Sixties, but I have absolutely no idea where it is! :(
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US