Power Inverter Suggestions

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

fatsportpilot

Re: Power Inverter Suggestions

Post by fatsportpilot »

That's a good point, but why is it a problem to bring attention to what you are doing? Airplanes are a lot louder than portable generators.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

You may find that there are rules against "storing fuel" for instance, that could come back to bite you if you draw attention to what you're doing. All it takes is one person who is pissed because you're "getting over" and to have them complain about it...

A really quiet generator, with a box surrounding it that deflects any noise skyward would likely create a sound signature low enough that it would go unnoticed from more than 20-30 feet away.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Rules against storing fuel are very silly in my opinion. I think most of the time it is a cheap excuse by the airport operators to get more people to buy fuel from them instead of from a nearby cheaper gas station. But I bet you could get around it by having a siphon from your wing tank to your generator because fuel in your plane doesn't count as stored fuel. You easily have enough fuel in there to power an efficient generator all night.