Buying high time Rotax 912 ULS

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

jpleonard2000

Buying high time Rotax 912 ULS

Post by jpleonard2000 »

I'm in the process of forming a flying club with a few other sport pilots in Albuquerque, NM. We're considering a Rans S6ES that has a very high time (2000 hrs) Rotax 912 ULS. It sounds like these frequently make it well past TBO, but since we're buying the engine second hand it's something of a black box to us. We certainly want to have any plane we buy thoroughly inspected first, but are there any extra tests or inspections we should request for such a high-time engine?
3Dreaming

Re: Buying high time Rotax 912 ULS

Post by 3Dreaming »

Make sure the gearbox inspections have been done. Other than that if the regular stuff like compression, mag plug, oil leaks, ect., are all good I think you should be okay.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I touch on a few items in my webinar "How to Buy a Used LSA", online at:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/prebuy.mp4

I also have one in the EAA queue, titled "Pushing Past TBO", but it's not scheduled to air until 10 March 2021.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

Another thing I would check for would be the 5-year hose replacements (Rotax mandates it, and it's a really good idea even on experimentals) – unless they replaced the "rubber" hoses with the newer teflon aftermarket ones. Rotax parts are close to $5K, and it's at least a solid day of labor to do them (and possibly a LOT more).

There is also a "mandatory" fuel pump replacement, so check for that one in the logs as well. I'm not positive (maybe Paul can chime in), but I think the pump runs somewhere around $500, and is supposed to be replaced every 500 hours or so...

Specific to the S-6 (I own a 2007 S-6ES as well), the fuel lines delivered with the kits were a blue plastic line that RANS has recommended be replaced ASAP, because they become embrittled and stiff with age and fuel exposure (ethanol destroys them). This often manifests early on as a "fuel odor" inside the cabin, but if/when they actually start leaking, it's obviously a major safety issue! It can be a PITA to run the new fuel lines to the fuel tank outlets, vents, etc. And don't neglect the sight gauges, as well (often the same plastic tubing). Gates "Barricade" black flexible hoses are recommended for the replacement (except, of course, for the sight gauges), as they've proven to last a long time without any degradation.

If the above haven't been done (and properly logged), I'd probably reduce my offer by the cost of making them happen.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
drseti

Post by drseti »

JimParker256 wrote: There is also a "mandatory" fuel pump replacement, so check for that one in the logs as well. I'm not positive (maybe Paul can chime in), but I think the pump runs somewhere around $500, and is supposed to be replaced every 500 hours or so...
The fuel pump lifetime is 5 years, regardless of flight hours. Last one I bought was only a little over $200, and labor was less than an hour.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

CPS-Parts hast the 914 ULS 5 Year Rubber kit for $975. I recently purchased one and it did not include the two fuel lines from the banjo bolt manifold to the carbs. The line from fuel pump out to the manifold is included. Does not include the larger water lines form the water pump to the radiator or the pressure cap. Carburetor flanges and diaphragms are included and enough oil and coolant line. Don't use old style hose clamps, Rotax recommends the single ear hose clamps. Will need fire shielding as well.

Randall Bearden
Sport Pilot
LSRM
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

drseti wrote:
JimParker256 wrote: There is also a "mandatory" fuel pump replacement, so check for that one in the logs as well. I'm not positive (maybe Paul can chime in), but I think the pump runs somewhere around $500, and is supposed to be replaced every 500 hours or so...
The fuel pump lifetime is 5 years, regardless of flight hours. Last one I bought was only a little over $200, and labor was less than an hour.
Thanks, Paul. I should have known better than rely on my memory...
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
drseti

Post by drseti »

You should avoid worm drive hose clamps. I generally choose Oetiker clamps, but they are one-time use. If you want reusable, go with Cobra clamps. You can buy either from Fastenal.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

RBearden56 wrote:CPS-Parts hast the 914 ULS 5 Year Rubber kit for $975. I recently purchased one and it did not include the two fuel lines from the banjo bolt manifold to the carbs. The line from fuel pump out to the manifold is included. Does not include the larger water lines form the water pump to the radiator or the pressure cap. Carburetor flanges and diaphragms are included and enough oil and coolant line. Don't use old style hose clamps, Rotax recommends the single ear hose clamps. Will need fire shielding as well.

Randall Bearden
Sport Pilot
LSRM
Unless it is damaged or soaked I reuse fire sleeve. At most I replace the longest piece, then use it for the next longest, and so forth. I do this because I like to trim and reseal the ends to make a nice clean installation.

I normally use Oetiker clamps. For a removavle clamp for fuel lines I use a Norma fuel injection clamp. I use Band-it clamps for the fire sleeve.