Amps drop on cross-country flight

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Paul_G

Amps drop on cross-country flight

Post by Paul_G »

I made my longest cross-country flight in my Sirius TL-3000 last week. Everything went fine until about 5 hours into the flight the amps dropped to 1 or 2 amps. It corrected itself after a minute or two and then did it again 2 or more times. It only lasted a total of 4 or 5 minutes and was then fine the remainder of the flight. The voltage dropped to about 11.9 during this event. I downloaded the data from my Dynon displays and uploaded them to SavvyAviaion.com to confirm what happened. Has anyone experienced this with the 912 ULS?

Thanks in advance for you comments.
Paul G
N400TL 2016 Sirius TL-3000
Chelan, WA (S10)
drseti

Re: Amps drop on cross-country flight

Post by drseti »

How many hours on the engine? I've seen issues with mid-time voltage regulators that resemble this. It's usually not the regulator itself, but rather corrosion on the blade terminals. You could try removing the connector, cleaning up the blades, smoothing dielectric grease on them, and then replacing the connector. You should also check the quality of the ground connection between the regulator housing and the firewall.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Paul_G

Post by Paul_G »

The Rotax has 200 hours.
Paul G
Chelan, WA (S10)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Paul_G wrote:The Rotax has 200 hours.
That's kind of low time for regulator problems. Try checking all your system grounds for tightness and good electrical contact.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I've heard of them failing in as little as 200 hours, it all depends on how cool they are kept. That being said do as Paul suggested and clean, tighten (squeeze the terminals closed a little) and grease the connector and slip it back on. As for the grounding, it is best if you have a ground lead from the body of the regulator to the negative battery terminal. Relying on the "chassis" grounding only for the regulator is not best practice and can cause premature failures. I assume then that you don't have the warning light hooked up on the regulator? It will come on if the voltage regulator is not working. I have a bright red LED on my panel right in front of me that is illuminated when the voltage regulator is not working.

Here's a pic of mine after it's quarterly checkup, packed with dielectric grease about to be slipped back on the regulator. I have the Silent Hektik voltage regulator but I still treat it the same way, keep it as cool as possible and maintain a great connection with regular scheduled maintenance on the regulator connector and terminals.
connector with dielectric grease (Medium).jpeg
connector with dielectric grease (Medium).jpeg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Paul_G

Post by Paul_G »

Thanks Shawn and Paul for the info. I'll get some dielectric grease and hope the problem never appears again.
Paul G
Chelan, WA (S10)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Since it is hard to determine if your modules and the regulator are being overheated, you may want to get a couple of adhesive temperature strips ( 160 F ) from Amazon and install them in strategic locations .... if you ever blow thru 160 F ( which is the temp at which , according to Rotax , damage may start occurring ) you will know right away ...
Strips.jpg
Strips.jpg (191.78 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

I've heard the Ducati voltage regulators Rotax uses are low quality. Is that still the case with modern Rotax engines?
drseti

Post by drseti »

All the current production Rotax 900 series engines still use the Ducati rectifier/regulator. Our own Fast Eddie successfully converted the 912ULS in his ELSA to a John Deere regulator.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

As I mentioned in an earlier post I installed the Silent Hektik voltage regulator on my E-LSA SportCruiser years ago and it's far superior to the Ducati. There is a Thermax brand temp strip on the right side of it (not seen in the photo) that reads from 149° to 199° and I've never reached the 149° mark yet. :mrgreen:

I think the John Deere and the Silent Hektik are the two most popular alternatives.
regulator and cap on firewall (Small).jpeg
regulator and cap on firewall (Small).jpeg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice picture, Shawn. May I have your permission to use it in one of my PowerPoint presentations?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

That's a nice installation, Shawn.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:Nice picture, Shawn. May I have your permission to use it in one of my PowerPoint presentations?
Absolutely, if you need a higher rez pic let me know, I always resize my pics way down before I upload them to online forums.
Wm.Ince wrote:That's a nice installation, Shawn.
Thanks Bill.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

ShawnM wrote:As I mentioned in an earlier post I installed the Silent Hektik voltage regulator on my E-LSA SportCruiser years ago and it's far superior to the Ducati. There is a Thermax brand temp strip on the right side of it (not seen in the photo) that reads from 149° to 199° and I've never reached the 149° mark yet. :mrgreen:

I think the John Deere and the Silent Hektik are the two most popular alternatives.

regulator and cap on firewall (Small).jpeg
What makes it far superior anyway? Is it just more reliable at high temperatures?
drseti

Post by drseti »

fatsportpilot wrote: What makes it far superior anyway? Is it just more reliable at high temperatures?
Greater heat sink area, I believe (which indeed leads to greater reliability at higher temperatures).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US