Engine rubber blocks

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Engine rubber blocks

Post by drseti »

But a preflight is a magical ritual, Warmi. Your superpower is the ability to ground your airplane with a snap of the fingers. It is an awesome power. Use it wisely.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:Well Shawn , look at these Italian blocks and compare to the ones on my plane ... my blocks look like 29.95 stuff from Aircraft Spruce ( or worse ) while his look like $290 items from Italy :D
Sorry Warmi, I still dont see $290 worth of engine mounts in that picture. But since he bought them from the AIRCRAFT manufacturer they can charge whatever they want. I've been able to go through the SportCruiser IPC (illustrated parts catalog) and determine that many of my parts are off the shelf parts and I source them myself. The factory "part number" is sometimes a derivative of the OEM part number, a little time with my friend "Google" and I can find anything. Saves me a fortune on my shoestring budget. :mrgreen:

I have 6 Barry Mounts supporting my Rotax at $7.45 each. Gotta love it.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote:Well Shawn , look at these Italian blocks and compare to the ones on my plane ... my blocks look like 29.95 stuff from Aircraft Spruce ( or worse ) while his look like $290 items from Italy :D
Sorry Warmi, I still dont see $290 worth of engine mounts in that picture. But since he bought them from the AIRCRAFT manufacturer they can charge whatever they want. I've been able to go through the SportCruiser IPC (illustrated parts catalog) and determine that many of my parts are off the shelf parts and I source them myself. The factory "part number" is sometimes a derivative of the OEM part number, a little time with my friend "Google" and I can find anything. Saves me a fortune on my shoestring budget. :mrgreen:

I have 6 Barry Mounts supporting my Rotax at $7.45 each. Gotta love it.
The Flight Design uses the Rotax mounts. There are 8 of them in total, for a little over $240. https://www.leadingedgeairfoils.com/cat ... /?q=860690
This used to be the price each, https://www.cps-parts.com/search/search.php?s=860690 :shock:
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

This points out one disadvantage to owning a relatively rare bird.

For a popular plane from Vans or Flight Design, the larger group of owners provides a much larger knowledge base, including the economical sourcing of parts. The number of Sky Arrow owners is tiny by comparison, leaving owners much more on their own.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

FastEddieB wrote:This points out one disadvantage to owning a relatively rare bird.

For a popular plane from Vans or Flight Design, the larger group of owners provides a much larger knowledge base, including the economical sourcing of parts. The number of Sky Arrow owners is tiny by comparison, leaving owners much more on their own.
I'm sure if I opened a bottle of my favorite wine and sat at my desk for an hour I could find the source of them for you, hopefully before I fall asleep. :mrgreen:

I always look for any markings on parts and start there. Google, and some good wine, can help find anything.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Looking back, I wish I had kept at least one of the mounts Roger replaced in 2012. With one right in front of me, and enough wine*, I might have been able to source them for much less.

So it goes. Live and learn. May this be 2019’s biggest tragedy for the Benson’s!

*More likely tequila in my case! :twisted:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

FastEddieB wrote:Looking back, I wish I had kept at least one of the mounts Roger replaced in 2012. With one right in front of me, and enough wine*, I might have been able to source them for much less.

So it goes. Live and learn. May this be 2019’s biggest tragedy for the Benson’s!

*More likely tequila in my case! :twisted:
Wine, Beer, Tequila.....whatever works best. :mrgreen: