Fuel Question 100LL ok?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

FlyAgain

Fuel Question 100LL ok?

Post by FlyAgain »

There seems to be contradictory info in the blogosphere regarding using 100LL AVGAS in the Rotax engines. Although these engines are designed to run optimally on unleaded high octane car gas I've yet to see any airport selling car gas, at least not near my home base or anywhere I'd be flying too. Some folks are hauling in gas cans to their hangers while others are just running 100LL and not worrying about it. Some are using additives to remove lead and some are running 100LL with more frequent oil changes.

Is there a genre consensus on this?
drseti

Re: Fuel Question 100LL ok?

Post by drseti »

We've had several very extensive threads on this topic over the years. Use the site search engine to seek out posts containing the keyword 100LL.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US