Retorquing Rotax heads

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Retorquing Rotax heads

Post by drseti »

In the past week, I've had two separate emails inquiring about a supposed requirement to periodically retorque Rotax heads. One query mentioned every 400 hours. Although I am aware of the new head bolt tightening sequence and procedure announced two years ago, I have no knowledge of such a requirement for the 912 series. Yes, periodic head torqueing is required for their 2-stroke engines. And Jabiru heads must be retorqued at every oil change. But 912 - dunno. Has anybody else heard of this? I'm renewing my Heavy Maint certificate in January, and will ask Eric Tucker.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Re: Retorquing Rotax heads

Post by roger lee »

You do not need to re-torque 912 or 914 heads unless you loosen the nuts or remove the heads. If people would actually read the Line Maint. Manual instead of listening to Joe next door and use the 100 hr / annual inspection checklist in that manual for EVERY inspection they would know this.

Guys and Gals you need to use the manuals and more importantly use the maint. inspection checklist. I have used the Rotax checklist and the Mfg fuselage checklist on every single inspection I have done since the begining. I know it by heart, but I always use them and give it to the customer all filled out and annotate in the margins for anything I touch, tweak, torque, change or repair.

This seems to be a huge wide spread problem with owners and mechanics failing to have or use the maint. manual or checklist. It does look like
LSRM-A's do a better job of it than A&P's by a huge majority.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I just did recurrent training last month. No mention of re-torqueing heads. They did cover the new torque procedure.
drseti

Post by drseti »

That's kind of what I expected, Tom. Thanks for confirming.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US