Ground power ?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

Ground power ?

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

I don’t have a ground power receptacle on my Sling. While programming or updating my G3X panels, would attaching a Battery Minder to the battery, in lies of a ground power unit, be an acceptable alternative?

The map/sectional downloads could take up to 30 minutes. I’d hate to weaken the battery while doing so.
roger lee

Re: Ground power ?

Post by roger lee »

Yes. I always hook up the battery with a charger and plug in my computer when I do updates. This is usually recommended by the instrument factory. If one fails mid stream you may be sending the instrument back to the factory. Better safe than sorry.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I dont know about the Garmin panels but Dynon states this on their software/firmware update page. As Roger stated, always plug in your laptop to a/c power and make sure the plane has sufficient power meaning a charger hooked to it as well. With the Dynon products if either the plane or laptop die during a firmware update the Dynon instrument becomes a brick and has to be sent back to Dynon.

Always a good idea to have external power if available to avoid any issues.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

roger lee wrote:Yes. I always hook up the battery with a charger and plug in my computer when I do updates. This is usually recommended by the instrument factory. If one fails mid stream you may be sending the instrument back to the factory. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks again Roger, IYO, does the battery minder fit the bill? Is there another unit better suited for the job? Some say I need a regulated power source. I just want the battery to not drop too low, causing a crash, if the download takes longer than expected.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
roger lee wrote:Yes. I always hook up the battery with a charger and plug in my computer when I do updates. This is usually recommended by the instrument factory. If one fails mid stream you may be sending the instrument back to the factory. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks again Roger, IYO, does the battery minder fit the bill? Is there another unit better suited for the job? Some say I need a regulated power source. I just want the battery to not drop too low, causing a crash, if the download takes longer than expected.
I understand you are asking Roger's opinion, wise choice, but to help put your mind at ease I use a "Battery Tender" brand charger (12v, 1.2 amp model) on my plane and never had any issues with updates or low battery readings while doing updates. I think any charger, no matter how small the rating, on the battery is good insurance.

I ran mine like this for over an hour and a half one time recalibrating the fuel level senders on my Dynon.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

ShawnM wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
I understand you are asking Roger's opinion, wise choice, but to help put your mind at ease I use a "Battery Tender" brand charger (12v, 1.2 amp model) on my plane and never had any issues with updates or low battery readings while doing updates. I think any charger, no matter how small the rating, on the battery is good insurance.

I ran mine like this for over an hour and a half one time recalibrating the fuel level senders on my Dynon.
Execellent Shawn! Just what I want to hear. I’m going to order a Battery Minder for my Sling. TAF got back to me and they agree also.

Roger is always spot on and we can usually get an answer from him quickly. I can’t wait to take the course, hopefully next year after I retire.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Execellent Shawn! Just what I want to hear. I’m going to order a Battery Minder for my Sling. TAF got back to me and they agree also.

Roger is always spot on and we can usually get an answer from him quickly. I can’t wait to take the course, hopefully next year after I retire.
Great, the battery minder will do the trick as well. I'm also taking the 16 hour class next April here in Florida. My annual is next month so I need to pay my mechanic one more time. Then the first 2 Rotax classes in Sebring. :mrgreen: