Carb line leaking fuel

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Carb line leaking fuel

Post by drseti »

I do the tappet check only if the lower end of the lubrication system has been opened up (e.g., for oil pump or pressure regulator maintenance, rubber replacement, etc.) For just removing and cleaning the oil tank, I haven't found it necessary. (Roger and Tom, feel free to disagree... )
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

My Sky Arrow has what appears to be a relatively unique solution to draining the oil:

An oil line is permanently attached to the oil drain hole. It’s between 2 and 3 feet long. It has a plug that goes into the end of it which is secured by a hose clamp, and it’s normally ty-wrapped to a support strut. To drain the oil, I cut the ty-wrap, snake the hose out of the cowling, and remove the plug.

Works well. I imagine it’s set up this way because inmy high-mounted engine, everything is just a bit more awkward to reach.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

While I admit I know nothing about PMA's being in the "experimental" world since my conversion, if it meets their qualifications for a certified engine then it's good enough for me. All the supplements are on the Saf Air website for the engines they are certified for. However you slice it is a great quick drain and makes oil changes a snap. My tank comes off every 3rd oil change for cleaning.

Maybe Rotax does not approve so they can sell you a $39 bolt once you lose it after you remove it for an oil change. :mrgreen:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote: ...
Maybe Rotax does not approve so they can sell you a $39 bolt once you lose it after you remove it for an oil change. :mrgreen:
Well, if they sell oil tank assemblies for $800 it is only fitting that the bolt sells for $39 - it is all about proper balance , if you get a bolt like that , the tank no longer feels that expensive :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FastEddieB wrote:My Sky Arrow has what appears to be a relatively unique solution to draining the oil:

An oil line is permanently attached to the oil drain hole. It’s between 2 and 3 feet long. It has a plug that goes into the end of it which is secured by a hose clamp, and it’s normally ty-wrapped to a support strut. To drain the oil, I cut the ty-wrap, snake the hose out of the cowling, and remove the plug.

Works well. I imagine it’s set up this way because inmy high-mounted engine, everything is just a bit more awkward to reach.

Nice setup - it is like a quick drain valve on steroids hehe
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois