ADSB PERFORMANCE REPORT

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

bitten192

ADSB PERFORMANCE REPORT

Post by bitten192 »

I just installed a Garmin GDL 82 in my REMOS G3/600 and got a FAA ADSB performance report. How does one interpret it without a PhD in FAAguistics? There were no red boxes in it. Does that mean I passed?
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A
drseti

Re: ADSB PERFORMANCE REPORT

Post by drseti »

The report I received had four boxes on it. Ifvthey BBC are all green, you passed.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I also have the GDL-82 paired with my GTX-327. Great ADS-B solution.

On page 3 of the report under "EXCEPTIONS:" there are 5 boxes, NIC, NACp, NACv, SIL and SDA, if they all say "No" you passed. If you fail any of those the box will be shaded red and it'll say "yes" in the box.

Clear as mud, right?
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

So no "Green" boxes?
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A
drseti

Post by drseti »

bitten192 wrote:So no "Green" boxes?
Mine were actually green. But that was when the rebate was still happening. Probably to symbolize the $500 I got.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

The PAPR reports have 5 boxes under "exceptions" and will only show RED if you fail. If there are no "exceptions" then all 5 boxes will say "no" and will be black and white. Here's my last PAPR report after moving my GPS antenna because of spotty signals and I was failing some reports.
PAPR (1).jpg
PAPR (1).jpg (85.31 KiB) Viewed 11534 times
Where you saw the green is on the GAIRS report for the rebate. There are 4 boxes on the GAIRS report and all have to be green for the rebate. Here's my GAIRS report with my incentive code when I got the rebate. I already have my $500 so the code is no good, just in case anyone was going to try for MY rebate. :mrgreen:

There are 4 green boxes representing $100 dollar bills and the 5th $100 bill you get for a bonus will be for the 1099 the government sends you next year.
GAIRS.jpg
GAIRS.jpg (95.03 KiB) Viewed 11534 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for clarifying, Shawn. I knew I saw green boxes somewhere!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

No problem Paul. I saved copies of all my reports for comparison.

I do have a couple of PAPR reports with RED boxes when I had spotty reception with my GPS antenna mounted under the cowling. I've since moved it to the top of the plane right behind the canopy and all subsequent reports have been perfect. My "ADS-B Fail" annunciator light has never come on again since I moved the antenna. :mrgreen:

I try to pull PAPR report randonally to confirm everything is working as designed. I typically fly in "anonymous" mode but when I want a report I have to turn that off.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

This is kind of related. I have (or had) a Skyguard UAT ADS-B out unit that conformed to the draft standard years ago but based on the final standard cannot be made comply with the 2020 standard. Skyguard for quite awhile offered a trade-in to a compliant unit but I planned to wait until April 2019 and wasn't thrilled with Skyguard's installation which required multiple external antenna. Anyway, Skyguard and the FAA worked together and decided since the unit is FCC approved to transmit it was OK to keep the unit going until 2020. This allows me to 'wake up' the ground stations and get traffic (all I really want).

Back in June, I received a registered letter from Michael A. Smith of the FAA that kindly let me know that my ADS-B out has errors and when did I plan to fix. I called and spoke to Mr. Smith to walk him through my situation and emailed information of the FAA agreement. Mr. Smith seemed OK. I was grounded for 2 months due to a medical issue then flew 3 times in a week. I received a nice email last week from Mr. Smith letting me know my unit appeared to be faulty on multiple flights and when was I going to the repair shop?

It just so happened I was going to Little Rock for a chute repack and decided I didn't want to fight city hall so had SportAir install a GDL-82 while they had my plane apart. Cost around $2500 including the GDL-82. Worked flawlessly today from KORK to T31 as per the ADS-B performance report.
dave
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

I requested reports for several dates for my trip Back to NY from LA. The one report after leaving So-Cal had some red. On the remaining dates and a few when back in NY, all passed. I received no letters from the FAA, nor do Inexpect too.
JJay

Post by JJay »

dstclair wrote: It just so happened I was going to Little Rock for a chute repack and decided I didn't want to fight city hall so had SportAir install a GDL-82 while they had my plane apart. Cost around $2500 including the GDL-82. Worked flawlessly today from KORK to T31 as per the ADS-B performance report.
$2500 installed sounds very good. Where did they mount the ground plane and the GPS antenna?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Does anyone what does it take to have your plane show up on sites like FlightRadar24 etc ? Of course, I have ADSB both in and out installed and is not set to anonymous mode , so given positive ADSB performance report ... I am curious why can’t I find any tracking data .
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

JJay wrote:
dstclair wrote: It just so happened I was going to Little Rock for a chute repack and decided I didn't want to fight city hall so had SportAir install a GDL-82 while they had my plane apart. Cost around $2500 including the GDL-82. Worked flawlessly today from KORK to T31 as per the ADS-B performance report.
$2500 installed sounds very good. Where did they mount the ground plane and the GPS antenna?
Sorry for the delayed response -- the GPS antenna and ground plane are mount on the aft deck behind the co-pilot and nearly as far back as the chute.
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote:Does anyone what does it take to have your plane show up on sites like FlightRadar24 etc ?
I use FlightAware, and have registered my plane to my account. When I log in, I can retrieve the ground track of its most recent flight in transponder airspace, accessed by N number. It's a great way to keep track of my students' solo XCs (and they need not find somebody at the destination airport to sign their logbooks).

This also lets me see how students approached and entered the pattern, what kind of pattern they flew, and whether they did a go-around. We then review the ground tracks together during debrief.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, that’s pretty clever ... although my Garmin 796 does the same thing ( and I am sure Dynon skyviews do too ) but then again, with FlightAware you don’t have to go and download that stuff off of the plane ... and no student can claim that they “forgot” to enable that feature :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois