Torque Wrench

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Torque Wrench

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

FastEddieB wrote:I took the Professor’s advice some time ago and went the Harbor Freight route. 3/8” and 1/2”.

As cheap as they are, I’m a little paranoid. After setting them, I always clamp the drive end into a bench vise and take it to the click to make sure it feels right. With spark plugs, were the clicker to fail, one could do a lot of damage waiting for a click that never came.

That said, I’m on my third set and no problems to date.
Folks, this is sage advice, thanks Eddie. I bought Harbor Freight torque wrenches and found the 3/8 drive was bad out of the box. Read this and tested it and the 1/4 and found them both bad. Replaced them and from now on will “Bench” test them prior to use. If I get another bad one, I’ll spend the money on a digital one.