Digital vs. Analog tach

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: Digital vs. Analog tach

Post by ShawnM »

I've used the MGL gauges before in an experimental helicopter I was building. They make very nice instruments with very reasonable prices. Certainly worth looking into in my opinion if you are considering a new tach.

But one again, if it ain't broke......... :mrgreen:
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Step 1 is covered - a mechanic a Copperhill has access to a handheld prop tach device.

Will report results when I have them.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Good news!

We ran a test today. I would run up the engine to a given indicated RPM, and my mechanic friend would "shoot" the prop with his handheld optical tach.

Results, after applying the gearbox reduction factor:

Pretty darn close - or at least close enough for government work!

As an aside, we had one prior member insist his brakes wore out so fast because of the high idle rpm on a ROTAX necessitating more brake usage. This points out that even at a relatively high idle of 2,000 rpm, the prop is only turning around 800 rpm, not far off from the typical Continental or Lycoming.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
proemer

Post by proemer »

Thanks for the report, Eddie. Now I need to see which of my tachs is right... (if either!). I tend to think the digital Dynon display should be accurate... but who knows.

Pete
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Nice work eddie!